Confused, set me staright

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buckaroo, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Found this add for an easter egg hen, that lays all different colors. doesn't each hen lay one color, maybe lighter or darker, or do they lay all colors. I thought is was pigment that colored the eggs, and the make up of that hens genetics determins what color. I wouldn't think this would change colors other lighter and darker shades of just one color. Right or wrong???

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/grd/1128160311.html

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    That person is mistaken, or dishonest. You would think he would know what color egg is chicken lays, especially if she is separated from the rest of the flock. Maybe he heard that easter eggers lay all those egg colors, but she hasn't actually started laying yet?

3. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    The way I understand it is easter eggers CAN lay blue, green, or "pink" eggs ( " pink" is what some people call a light beige) but if it lays green it will forever lay green. Not green one day and blue the next and "pink" the next. If you got a blue layer its a blue layer. I am not an expert so I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Your are correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by