1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Confused... she...he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bigreyhorse, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For the past year I was pretty sure we had all hens, but now I'm confused. I ordered all female chicks from a hatchery and they all grew up fine, I was convinced they were all pullets as they got older. Now I have one RIR that has been harassing my other hens, and it is JUST like a rooster mating with a hen, but this is the most wimpy "rooster" I've ever seen. The tail is maybe a touch darker, but not much, not longer at all, the chicken is a little bigger. They just got done molting so he/she is hard to compare to everyone with their feathers still coming in the rest of the way. I'll get some pictures a little later, I can't get out to the coop at the moment.
    They're 1 1/2 yr old now, what rooster characteristics would it have? I'd separate it from the flock and see if it lays but not everyone is laying after the molt so that could be one of the hens not laying.
    Compared to the other RIRs the comb is larger and more red too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

At a year and a half you would know...lol

He would crow and crow and crow.

I am guessing that you just have a bossy hen! [​IMG]

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have heard that sometimes if you don't have a rooster a hen will take over some of the characteristics of a roo!
    I'm pretty sure that's what you've got, you would be able to tell the difference just by looking at the hens which one is a boy/girl by 2-3months, let alone 1 1/2yrs!

4. bigreyhorse

bigreyhorse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We're rooster-less so that is probably it.
    I find it so interesting how chickens do stuff like that, why now all of a sudden? We had a few chickens die I wonder if that messed things up in the flock and made her higher on the roost and she assumed the role as rooster...

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My Reds were always highest on the pecking order. When I sold all of them, and the roo, one of my Orps started crowing.
    It can happen. [​IMG]

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    She is most likely a bossy hen, and has assumed the boss in charge role. She may not be laying if she has done this whether she's in molt or not. I had gotten a hen from a woman who had a bunch of roosters. We brought her home (had no roos at the time), and 2 days later she was literally trying to crow. It was the saddest thing you'd ever hear in your life! She did not lay for about 2 months (even when she stopped trying to crow), but then started laying, and was one of my best layers - 1 egg every day! She has stopped laying now, but she was around 2 when I got her (so I was told), so I guess she'll be intermittent from now on. SO, back to the post [​IMG]... Give your girl time, she'll probably get back to "normal" again [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is always a head hen. Sometimes, you know exactly who that is and sometimes, it's harder to tell if there are two dominant ones. My first head hen was a RIR. When she died, a SLW her same age, took the top spot. She just died as well, so now, I'm not sure who the top lady is.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We have no roosters. I have a production red/rir that is definitely a hen - I've seen her lay, but now, she sometimes mounts the other hens just like a rooster would. No crowing, but she stands right on top of them and acts like she's doing the deed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by