Confused...what does this law mean? How would you interpert this?

chickypeep

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2011
This is the law for my area: "(2) The keeping of adult or fully grown fowl such as chickens, ducks, geese or other birds, excluding pet birds kept within a dwelling, on more than three acres of land in a RU Rural District, provided that no more than 25 birds per acre are maintained."

What does that mean for me if my house is on 1 acre? How would you interpert this? I think this means I can have up to 25 adult chickens right? Thanks ahead of time!
smile.png

ETA- The entire code:
"G. Keeping of a reasonable number of domestic animals for household purposes, or as pets, and private stables shall be permitted as provided below:

(1) The keeping of not more than one adult or fully grown horse, cow, beef animal, sheep, goat or other four-legged domestic farm animal or combinations thereof per one acre of land shall be permitted on any RU Rural or RS-1 Low Density Residential Settlement District lot of one acre or more in lot area.
(2) The keeping of adult or fully grown fowl such as chickens, ducks, geese or other birds, excluding pet birds kept within a dwelling, on more than three acres of land in a RU Rural District, provided that no more than 25 birds per acre are maintained.
(3) The keeping as pets of not more than four dogs and four cats over the age of 12 months and/or the keeping of bees, rabbits or other small animals normally capable of being domesticated shall be permitted in any district.
(4) Keeping of animals in greater numbers than those permitted above for personal enjoyment, not including any commercial or institutional uses, may be permitted by the Planning Board with site plan review as provided herein. All animals shall be adequately housed, fenced and otherwise maintained in a sanitary and safe manner so as, on the finding of the Planning Board, not to create a nuisance, health or safety hazard to nearby property, property owners, inhabitants of the neighborhood or the animals themselves. Additional requirements for commercial or institutional kennels or facilities for raising, breeding, training, care and boarding of dogs, cats and other domestic animals, where permitted, may be found in § 112-37 of this Code."

Last edited:
I'm reading it the same way Katy is. You have to have atleast 3 acres before you can have any type poultry and then you can only keep 25 per acre if that.

Oh man really? Ugh this sucks
sad.png
, I wonder if there's any kind of loop hole
fl.gif
? Can I call up someone or like make a pettion for people to sign in my new neighborhood (I'm moving into this area w/a house on 1 acre)? What would you do? We were planning on reading up as much as possible this year and then putting in a chicken coop,run and the chickens next spring. We didn't want to get anything until we were sure of the laws and read up everything we needed to know and what not. I wanted to make sure my flock of chickens lived the best quality of life as far as happiness and health goes before just buying everything and and putting the chickens in a coop and hoping for the best lol you know what I mean? I've seen too many pet owners do this with things that need to adjust to their surroundings like fish as an example, you just don't buy a fish tank, fish food and some fish, add water, and then think that's all you need to do or that's involved. I could use any advice on what to do! 3 acres is a ridculous requirement, I could see 1 acre, but 3 just for them wow? If I had bought a house w/more land I would've had to sacrifice on the house being nice etc. As much as I really am wanting to raise some chickens I can't just back out of my new house that I'm supposed to be closing on end of next month...I'd be nuts lol! So, there's no other way around this by moving because I'm just buying this house and already have my money tied up in it etc. *sighs* I hope there's some kind of way around this or to change this.
barnie.gif

I think it's funny they have this law: "(1) The keeping of not more than one adult or fully grown horse, cow, beef animal, sheep, goat or other four-legged domestic farm animal or combinations thereof per one acre of land shall be permitted on any RU Rural or RS-1 Low Density Residential Settlement District lot of one acre or more in lot area.", which these animals take up more space than a chicken or 2 lol! I was wanting like about 5 chickens on 1 acre, I don't see how that's worse than keeping a horse or a cow or any other large farm animal on my property you know? This is soooo not fair!
he.gif

Thank you for all advie ahead of time!
frow.gif

What town is this? I'm not sure you quoted the entire chicken code section, it doesn't seem to actually say anything to me (unlike the cow section, that said "shall be permited")...

-GB

Quote:
The town law is for Wawarsing NY which is considered the area my small neighboring town would fall into as far as the laws for the surrunoding areas etc. Ok I'll give you the whole entire laws on this whole thing then and see if that helps.

Here it is:

G. Keeping of a reasonable number of domestic animals for household purposes, or as pets, and private stables shall be permitted as provided below:

(1) The keeping of not more than one adult or fully grown horse, cow, beef animal, sheep, goat or other four-legged domestic farm animal or combinations thereof per one acre of land shall be permitted on any RU Rural or RS-1 Low Density Residential Settlement District lot of one acre or more in lot area.
(2) The keeping of adult or fully grown fowl such as chickens, ducks, geese or other birds, excluding pet birds kept within a dwelling, on more than three acres of land in a RU Rural District, provided that no more than 25 birds per acre are maintained.
(3) The keeping as pets of not more than four dogs and four cats over the age of 12 months and/or the keeping of bees, rabbits or other small animals normally capable of being domesticated shall be permitted in any district.
(4) Keeping of animals in greater numbers than those permitted above for personal enjoyment, not including any commercial or institutional uses, may be permitted by the Planning Board with site plan review as provided herein. All animals shall be adequately housed, fenced and otherwise maintained in a sanitary and safe manner so as, on the finding of the Planning Board, not to create a nuisance, health or safety hazard to nearby property, property owners, inhabitants of the neighborhood or the animals themselves. Additional requirements for commercial or institutional kennels or facilities for raising, breeding, training, care and boarding of dogs, cats and other domestic animals, where permitted, may be found in § 112-37 of this Code.

ETA-typo fixed on name of town

Last edited:
(4) Keeping of animals in greater numbers than those permitted above for personal enjoyment, not including any commercial or institutional uses, may be permitted by the Planning Board with site plan review as provided herein.

there's your loop hole.

Back
Top Bottom