Confused...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCChickLovers, Nov 8, 2013.

1. NCChickLovers

NCChickLovers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Ok, so a few months back I received three chicks that I was told were EEs. However, as they got older, they did not grow the colorful feathers I was expecting. below are a few pictures of my Chickens.
    [​IMG]

here is a picture of all three.

[​IMG]

This is Henry

[​IMG]

Sybil (Left) and Gladys (Right)

I posted a picture of Henry on here before when I wasn't sure if he was a male or not and I was told by some of you that he was an Australorp. I then assumed that his sisters, Sybil and Gladys, were Australorps as well. however, the girls have recently started laying. and I got the below green and pink eggs.

[​IMG]

Now I'm confused. Maybe they're mixed with EE? Can anyone give me a clue?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    They could very well be EE's. The rooster doesn't look like an EE though. Sometimes they are not as colorful as others.
    Did you get them from a hatchery or an individual breeder?

3. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    Easter Eggers are mix breed chickens to start with (mutts) that have the blue egg gene. Because the gene is diluted with other breeds, you can end up with any color of egg. That's why they are called Easter Eggers instead of something like "blue eggers". You end up with an Easter basket of assortment. As far as the color of the birds themselves, they can be any color too with or without muffs, tufts, or beards. They are kind of a crapshoot. A lot of times you can go by the leg color as well. Most commonly Ameraucana are mixed with other breeds that make EE. True ameraucana have black or slate colored legs. Most EE will have green or willow colored legs because the other breeds they are mixed with had yellow legs and the mix of the two makes them the green color. Yours are very dark, so I'm guessing its a mix of a dark legged bird like an Australorp. That could also explain why the hens are black. It gets a little confusing. Hope this helps

4. NCChickLovers

NCChickLovers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    I got them from an individual breeder.

I guess it's good that I wasn't lied to about what kind of chickens they are, but I was getting used to the idea of Australorps. I'm not complaining, though. I love that my egg tray is so colorful. [​IMG]

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Well the breeder did kind of lie to you, he/she sold you EE mixes not "real" EEs that have a much higher probability of laying colored eggs than a 1/2 and 1/2 mix. If I were buying EE chicks, I would want to know that both their parents were EEs. I would agree that they are EE x black Australorp. That would explain the single comb on the rooster and the pretty birchen leakage. I think the one hen looks like she had a single comb and the other looks to have a modified pea comb. I'm so happy that you got at least one green layer.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

7. X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by