Confusing Arrangement with Dog Damaging Chicken to Prevent Greater Loss

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have a a few game roosters and a couple American Dominique roosters penned around yard and along path to barn. A game stag got out and tried to fight with an American Dominique. One of my dogs intervened in my absence leaving a trail feathers from location of fight to far side of house. I incorrectly assumed the dog dispatched stag and disposed of carcass. Later in day stag presented himself for feed running from direction the dog appears to have taken him. The young rooster lost his tail in altercation. Stag clearly scared of dog and dog looked at stag in sour way as it approached to feed. Sequence did prevent far more damage to both birds if fight continued unabated.

IMG_0021.jpg

My guardian dog Mick will "break up" what he perceives as alarming or disruptive goings on in the yard. My flock free range and I have 3 loose guardian dogs and it's a good thing or I would not have a flock left. These dogs do a great job, I have evidence on my game cameras with video
Having said that i also observe Mick intervening when roosters start fighting or roosters mounting an unwilling hen. The flight and fight and squalking sounds bring him running and he gets his face in between them and they go separate ways.
He never pulls feathers though.
I would monitor and correct your dog, he may need clarification of exactly what his job is concerning chickens.

My guardian dog Mick will "break up" what he perceives as alarming or disruptive goings on in the yard. My flock free range and I have 3 loose guardian dogs and it's a good thing or I would not have a flock left. These dogs do a great job, I have evidence on my game cameras with video
Having said that i also observe Mick intervening when roosters start fighting or roosters mounting an unwilling hen. The flight and fight and squalking sounds bring him running and he gets his face in between them and they go separate ways.
He never pulls feathers though.
I would monitor and correct your dog, he may need clarification of exactly what his job is concerning chickens.
I am OK with what is going on. Rooster is a game, much harder to get to break off. She did a good job on this although expecting improvement. She is just now 2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom