Confusion about breed of chicks from Tractor supply.

DavidN

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
So last night we went and picked up 7 new chicks, 2 black sex links, 2 "reds", 2 brahmas and 1 silkie bantam. Now upon doing my own research i'm starting to think we didnt get what we were told. The "brahma" chicks are yellow and dont have any feet feathers. I'm pretty sure brahma chicks are supposed to have feathered feet. Our silkie bantam has feathered feet. Not only that but they couldnt tell us what breed ou reds were. RIR, NH? we are clueless. I'm a little ****** about it because we drove 40m one way to get these chicks and i am gonna bring them back depending on what i come up with doing research. Does my brahma chicks not having feathered feet guarentee me they are NOT brahma chicks? Also is there a way to tell what my "reds" are? I'll see if my girlfriend can post pics on here for you all to check out. Thanks in advance.

Post them pics David! I also had the same problem and I am one of those people who does heavy research on the breeds I have or own. I along with other on here may be able to tell you what you have if you post the pictures. I also had two from TSC that I questioned. The problem with them is that when they get chicks in, the employees only sign them according to what's on the invoice. The invoice from what I am told is never accurate. So....all the red chicks can be Sex Link, Hampshires or RIRs. The black chicks can be Barred Rocks, Austrolops or Black Sex Links. You my friend, are not the only one with this problem unfortunately!

Check out this good thread on this year's TSC chicks.

Post them pics!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/454249/tractor-supply-chicks

So last night we went and picked up 7 new chicks, 2 black sex links, 2 "reds", 2 brahmas and 1 silkie bantam. Now upon doing my own research i'm starting to think we didnt get what we were told. The "brahma" chicks are yellow and dont have any feet feathers. I'm pretty sure brahma chicks are supposed to have feathered feet. Our silkie bantam has feathered feet. Not only that but they couldnt tell us what breed ou reds were. RIR, NH? we are clueless. I'm a little ****** about it because we drove 40m one way to get these chicks and i am gonna bring them back depending on what i come up with doing research. Does my brahma chicks not having feathered feet guarentee me they are NOT brahma chicks? Also is there a way to tell what my "reds" are? I'll see if my girlfriend can post pics on here for you all to check out. Thanks in advance.

And yes, Brahmas are yellow with feathered feet. You have something else! Maybe someone threw it into the wrong bin or they labeled them wrong?

Last edited:
Correction. Light Brahma's are yellow with feathered feet. See picture below. Hope it helps.

Now Cornish-X or White Leghorns may be the chick you have. They are similar but "with-out" feathered feet.

Does the Silikie have a fifth toe and black legs?

Last edited:
Correction. Light Brahma's are yellow with feathered feet. See picture below. Hope it helps. Now Cornish-X or White Leghorns may be the chick you have. They are similar but "with-out" feathered feet. Does the Silikie have a fifth toe and black legs?
The silkie has five toes, black feet and mouth. So i think i am okay with him/her

The silkie has five toes, black feet and mouth. So i think i am okay with him/her

Yes, I think you are okay with the Silkie. Good find BTW. Your other one I would bring back and demand two of them since you wasted gas! They may oblige your request. I had one with a prolapse and they gave me a Pullet in exchange. I think you have either a White Leghorn (Good egg layer) or a Cornish-X (good meat bird). I'm guessing you really don't want to take the 50/50 chance that it's a meat bird which may be useless to you.

Back
Top Bottom