Sponsored Post Congratulations MamaNini! You won a beautiful coop from Handcrafted Coops!

Though I've raised chickens before on a mini farm, I'm just getting into them in to an Urban setting,. My advice so far is research not only can you have chickens, but how many you're allowed to keep. Many urban settings will not let you keep roosters or female ducks (females quack). But you can have hens & drakes. On breeds, I'm thinking the calmer less flighty breeds would fit and work better in an backyard setting. I'm planning on letting my (future) hens free range the backyard when I'm home, otherwise they'll be in a pen. Their wings will be clipped so they don't end up over the fence. I love chicken watching while I sit having some tea early in the morning and watch em scratching around. It's a sorta free form of stress relief. T.parker

I don't have any advice, YET. I have 4 one day old chicks coming April 2-3rd , in which I originally had ordered 7 but downsized after researching what I had gotten myself into! LOL I have been researching like a mad woman. I have watched every you tube video possible, read Raising chickens for dummies & building chicken coops for dummies as well. Spent many VERY late nights reading blogs & threads. I currently have a small coop I won on ebay but is really only big enough for 2 hens & my building skils are questionable. But I am sure the next few months that they will put to the test..I am really thankful for ALL the advice from anyone & everyone & am soooooooo excited to get my new babies & watch them grow into a happy, healthy & safe flock!!

1. Learn and know your local zoning, region, elevation and climate: call you local county or city hall for laws, zoning, regulations and details.
1.A. Are roosters allowed? how many? are chickens allowed? how many? etc.

2. Determine if you want egg layers, dual purpose, heritage breeds or industrialized meat birds. There are many birds to choose from, so do not be in a hurry. Ask questions, read books, magazines, look online and contact farmers and ranchers with experience.
(blue egg layers, white egg layers, brown egg layers, fast growers, slow growers, winter layers etc.)

3. Select breeds that do well in your region, elevation and that meet your needs. Not all birds lay all year, some do well in lower elevations and others high and inbetween, so contact experienced farmers/ranchers, learn all you can via books, hobby magazines, local agriculture support and internet to determine you best selections for your needs.

3.A. Select chicks from a reputable, certified breeder or hatchery, to ensure a healthy flock.

4. Brood chicks as per the instructions of the hatchery. Usually 96-99 degrees with an area where they can get away from the heat. Keep them in the brooder until fully feathered.

5. Once your young birds are out of the brooder, keep them safe from over-head flying and ground predators, (flight netting, , poultry netting etc..) Remember young birds can not regulate their body temperatures until they are feathered and young chicks can not protect themselves from large rats etc..

6. Provide your birds with plenty of room, at least 2-3 square feet per bird and be certain that they have semi-dark, safe enclosures (laying nests) to lay eggs.

7. Provide plenty of roosting posts/poles and keep them at least 4 feet + off the ground. Provide summer shade and shelter from the rains, hail, snow and high winds, they may not use it, but at least they have that option.

8. Allow them day ranging in a safe and clean environment, and remember to clean (rake) the fecal debris off the ground, and often (2-6 times weekly), in an effort to provide a clean and sanitary environment and to avoid health problems and cross contamination.

9. Fresh bedding is important, use pine shavings, straw or bermuda grass (never use cedar, since this can be toxic to birds). If bedding gets wet or is smelly, moldy etc.. change bedding more often (4-8 times monthly).

10. Provide plenty of free choice, clean water 24hrs each day. Providng a separate water trough with vitamins and minerals included, allows the birds to regulate themselves.

11. Chickens require at least 18% protein levels in food supply (Game birds 22-28% protein), and during the winter provide your birds with at least 12% fat levels. Most breeds do not lay well during the winter time, they are busy using energy to stay warm. Many breeds require more daylight hours and temperatures of 70+ degrees. This being said, some breeds do not lay well in temperatures over 100 degrees.

12. Offer your birds free choice oyster shell (or equivalent), this helps keep calcium levels strong and this may help to develop a strong egg shell.

13. Keep poultry mites and small pests at bay with diatomaceous earth, simply sprinkle on bedding and inside coops.

14. Collect fresh eggs daily and refrigerate (washing off the bloom is optional) "you should always wash your eggs before cracking".

15. Pay attention to your flock, learn their normal behaviors. If a bird is is not responding, or has a runny nose, swollen eyes, panting, not active, losing weight etc.. immediately separate that bird from your flock and contact your veterinarian, if you do not have a veterinarian, call the nearest Agriculture school or your state veterinarian, contact anyone you know that can help.

16. When possible feed your birds a certified organic diet, if this is not possible, simply add fresh veggies, berries and fruits from your kitchen to their daily diet. Greens are very good for chickens and in many cases, make for a healthier chicken and egg.

17. Problems to look for and avoid: pecking at each other, too much feather loss, not laying, losing weight, respiratory issues, not active in the range, overcrowding etc..

18. Some breeds, under "perfect" conditions can live up to 25 years.

19. Some breeds (in optimum condtions) can lay well, for up to 5 years, then production can slow down.

20. Care for your chickens with kindness and love, and if you have any questions or concerns, I am happy to help, in any way I can and you are welcome to contact me.

www.backyardchickens.com has a full spectrum variety of useful information, utilize your resources.

Last edited:
My best advice would be to Prepare Prepare Prepare before you buy chickens at all! Build or buy your own coop complete with roost and nest box, buy some books and find a vet. Organize your yard accordingly with a nice run to keep chickens safe while outside if you should be away for the day. Figure out how you will enclose your garden if you grow your own food.

it's fun to do all this on the fly but is really hard if you are busy and pressed for time. if i had to do all over again, i'd get all prepared before i got the chickens!

Another huge tip. don't have only 2! if you're starting out, get 3. if one dies you won't be burdened with adding to the flock (which is a research project in itself) and you lone sweetie won't be a loner which is something chickens do not like.

there you have it from a 1 year chicken owner and dedicated for life to own and love chickens. Best life ever!

My best advice for someone who has birds or wants to get birds is to research. Look up places where bird people are gonna be meeting (like at swaps and shows) and ask questions about what you need answered. There is a ton of information online but if that's something you can't get a hold of talk to people. There are many people who have been into birds for years and from what I've noticed with experience comes knowledge and wisdom. Chickens aren't the only birds that are good for laying, perhaps you don't like chickens. Well there is also ducks, turkeys, geese you name it there is a huge variety of birds out there and not just one thing suits everyone's needs. Check out your local feed store, generally they offer books that have a lot of good information in them. Most feed stores even sell chicks in the spring so you could start right in your home town. Perhaps you're not just looking for birds to keep as pets/eat or just for laying. Maybe you're feeling a bit competitive and want to get involved in the show ring. Look up birds online join poultry related sites find out when these shows are going on and ask questions. There is so much that I myself am still learning about birds, but I've found that you can learn so much from other people and being around birds a lot. I did the same thing for my rabbits and learned loads.

Another thing is patience. If things aren't working out for you to start just keep trying until something does. If you are persistent things will work out for you in the end. ;3

Like many have suggested: research, ask, ponder, and enjoy, but I have a caveat. There will come a time when you ask for advice from other chicken folks or you find in books and other media. There will be many different answers to your questions. You should consider them all, and then go with what works best for you, learn from it, make the best decision you can, and don't feel guilty for it. In return, you should not make anyone else feel bad for the way they raise theirs. Some examples might be to cull or not to cull, to medicate or not to medicate, vet or no vet, organic or regular feed, what to do to the predators, etc... The professional poultry farmer, breeder, hobbyist, preservationist, urban vs. rual owner, etc... will result in a wide variety of reponses. As long as your birds are fed and protected, the rest is pretty variable.

I really wish I had great advice but I am going to be raising chickens for the first time.
I am looking for a great plan for a chicken coop and found your site and now hope
to win this adorable coop. I think my husband will appreciate it more than I will because of
the hours it will save him constructing one for me.
I do know that local laws are important to research and most towns allow small flocks but for
your neighbors sake, no roosters. I do know that one of the type of chicken I want to get is
Guinea hens. We live in an area with deer ticks and these hens are supposed to be voracious
lovers of ticks. Candy for them. Thanks for the chance to win a prize. Suecam

If you live where the weather is above freezing 365 days a year GREAT, but for those of us that get that long winter season with below freezing temperatures, I have some winter tips for you.

Keeping Chickens Warm

A warm chicken is a happy chicken, so I asked some old time chicken farmers what the best way was for those cold months. The answer was LAYER THE LITTER! When chicken excrement breaks down, it creates heat. If you layer the litter so that the top is clean and the bottom is creating warmth, you will have warm and happy chickens. If the litter starts to get soaking wet, this is when you will discard ALL litter and start over again with the layering process.

Frozen Water

There are many fancy electric water heaters that will keep the water from freezing, they can also be very dangerous! When you have water + electricity + litter, all combined with dry weather and clumsy chickens, there is always potential for disaster. I personally like to keep 2 plastic waterers around for the winter. That way I can always have one outdoors with the chickens and one inside ready to fill up and switch out with the frozen one. I sometimes have to change the water out 2 times a day, but my coop is safe and my chickens always have access to water.

Frostbite

To help prevent against frostbitten combs in below freezing temperatures, I use Vaseline! It coats their comb and protects it from freezing.

Layers Keep Laying

Another good winter investment is a battery powered light (a tap light will do) and rechargable batteries. Turn the light on in the moring when you go to feed and water, and off at night when you gather the eggs, it simulates daylight for them and they'll continue to lay eggs throughout the winter months. The rechargeable batteries are great because you spend less in the long run on power for your light.

BUT.... the most important advice I can give you about raising chickens is HAVE FUN!

Being new to the chicken rage the best advice I can offer is to learn as much as you can before you ever venture into the feed store or wherever you plan to purchase your chicks. It is so tempting to jump right in and that can be one of the biggest mistakes you make and cause your first experience to also be your last.
Next, start with very young chicks. Create a safe environment (not a coup yet) where they have access to an area large enough to give them room to move, an area for their feed and water, and an area under a heat source. When performing the daily cleaning make sure you include time to handle each of your chicks (this advice is the same for all types of pets or backyard livestock).
Finally, remember this is not a once in a while commitment. You have to be there to provide fresh feed and water, clean the nesting area and, of course, collect those eggs. If you cannot commit to you or someone reliable being there daily then you need to rethink the whole backyard coup idea.

My Best advice for rasing chickens is to love and cair for them.Sure people say do this..and that,but it takes a true chicken Rancher to love them and respect them.Take great care for them on the chicken coop,or even the water and food.Pet the chicken or hold it,maybe even put fresh cut grass in with them.There favorite is cooked vegetables. It is the little things that you do to make them fell welcomed around you. If you have stuff about to rot make them a nice plate of it, just the little things can make you fell prouder and your chicken happier.If you are also not sure if you can have chickens in your area go to your city's website and check under the laws,it will usually be under exotic animals,and then under poultry's.

Just these things can get you a chicken,and make the best mood for them and the best cair.

Back
Top Bottom