Conjoined twin birds!! Fixed the link! Not a Joke!!

Quote:
I don't mean to sound condenscending here, but there is no way two yolks can scramble and still produce a bird. Once the yolk breaks inside an egg, the egg won't develop because the membranes have been damaged and destroyed. A chimera is formed when the two fertilized eggs fuse together to form a single individual. What happened is that there was a single yolk with two zygotes that joined and resulted in your beautiful mottled bird.
smile.png

I took the lovebird post as sarcasm, not that he was literally a chimera. beautiful bird. love to look at lovebirds, shame they can be so noisy!
smile.png

Last edited:
The lovebird is literally a chimera, but the yolks did not scramble, as bliss chick said. She is correct. A chimera bird can only result from two zygotes in a single egg, which become intermingled and form into a single bird.

Quote:
Cool! I figured it was the blue mutation of the fischer crossed with a regular fischer, or something along those lines. I've seen chimerism in humans, guess no reason why it can't happen in the animal world also.

they came from a regular egg. single yolker . Like in human conjoined twins the egg did not split completely in two. so the two embryos got stuck together. Did i mention that i love genetic abnormalities?

got it ..but don't expect me to remember it!!
tongue.png
.....oh and I am thoroughly interested in this chimera thing now, so I am going to go look it up. All I had ever heard is that chimeras don't exist; and that they are mythical creatures.​

Well the mythical kind of Chimera is a mixture of different animal parts... I imagine that's why they lent the name to creatures of this nature
wink.png

They did have a show on the discovery channel on human chimeras. Basically they would have been fraternal twins and one twin gets too close to the other in the embryonic stage and only the one twin develops into a person. Usually they have an odd skin pattern on their torso. They also have 2 sets of DNA. Somebody almost had their kids taken away because her DNA didn't come up as her being the mother, just a close relative. Because her blood, skin cell DNA didn't match her ovary/egg DNA. I'm sure it happens with identical twins also, but then all the DNA would be the same and most likely no odd skin pattern then since the skin tone would all be the same. They probably never even know they are one!
Gotta love the discovery channel...

I think when they are cross-species mixes they are just called hybrids. I think to technically be a chimera the dna of the critter needs to have 2 sets. In a hybrid the whole animal would have it's own wacky dna.

Back
Top Bottom