Cons for Backyard Chickens

Snross

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Help!
I posted a poll on my FB neighborhood page, but since I’m such a novice (don’t have any hens yet) I have no idea how to assuage or rebuttal these ideas a few people have stated:

(1) “I love chickens, grew up with chickens, worked with chickens but prefer to have them in the country setting rather than suburb row house setting. I want to protect my home’s value in case we sell our home. Just my opinion.”

(2) “The coops must be maintained and cleaned. Even then, odors can be prevalent. Also, additional insects, snakes, and other predators will be attracted. I’d love to have chickens...in the country.”

does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach these arguments?
Thanks!

I live in the country but I was raised in a small town.
I understand the statements, you have more freedom in the country. Your neighbors are farther from you and complain less. In a city, you have more annoying neighbors.
If everything is done correctly, odors are minimal and everything attracts predators that are already present. Most statements are just an excuse to not have another thing someone has to take care of. Some people miss out on the joys in life.
Sorry this isn't an approach to those arguments, I understand all sides. I choose to live in the country to have more animal freedoms and away from neighbors.
My main suggestion, people that complain will always complain because they either try to bring someone down to make themselves feel better or they sadly have no joys in life.

I live in the country but I was raised in a small town.
I understand the statements, you have more freedom in the country. Your neighbors are farther from you and complain less. In a city, you have more annoying neighbors.
If everything is done correctly, odors are minimal and everything attracts predators that are already present. Most statements are just an excuse to not have another thing someone has to take care of. Some people miss out on the joys in life.
Sorry this isn't an approach to those arguments, I understand all sides. I choose to live in the country to have more animal freedoms and away from neighbors.
My main suggestion, people that complain will always complain because they either try to bring someone down to make themselves feel better or they sadly have no joys in life.
Thank you I really feel like that’s how they feel.

I live in New York City... and here it is perfectly legal to have as many hens as you want! I actually have a country house which is where we got our 4 chickens in the first place (as chicks), and we are now back in the city! We have a backyard (obviously) which we keep them in, and so far not predators (knock on wood). I honestly just find it was easier in the country. We had so much more land. We just dumped the coop litter behind the barn and didn't think anything of it. Now, we have to properly dispose of it which is just more to think about. Some of my girls have been a little loud... no complaints yet fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom