Considering a second Breed

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Windsor, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Windsor

Windsor Out Of The Brooder

We have Sebastopols and I am looking into a second breed for meat and eggs. We've looked at, are considering, and would like opinions from those who have of have had Pilgrim, Toulouse, Emben, or some other really good producer. We are not looking to cross with the Sebbies - each breed will have their own pasture. I've read Chineese will produce about 50 eggs a year, but are very talkative (noisey), so they most likely won't be considered.

Thanks!

Mike

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I haven't had them long, but I love my Toulouse goose and gander. They're not old enough to breed, yet. But they're not noisy unless they perceive a predator.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you are wanting meat, take a look at the Pomeranian. Not the hatchery birds, that tend to be scrawny and tube shaped, but good breeder birds with deep bodies and plump chests.

Pomeranians lay as well as any of the Greylag geese.

4. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have first-hand experience with either, but instead of another type of goose, have you considered Muscovy ducks? From what I've read, the females make great broodies, and you can transfer eggs from your sebbies to them for fostering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by