Considering adding 2 poults

Newfowler1

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Purcellville Virginia
I’m not sure so want to attempt adding 2 turkeys this spring or next as I need to gather as much info as I can.
I currently have 7 adult ducks and 6 adult guineas all born last April-June. This was an exercise for the huge tick population here. The guinea have done a good job.

Currently the ducks and guineas share a coop partitioned in half. Later this spring the ducks will have new digs and a wire and electric enclosure as the fox, mink and raccoons are a problem. Hawks too but my pen locations prevent Hawks from easily attacking. I’d like to House the turkey in the partitioned side with guineas on the other. I’d rather not have 3 or more coops here.

After reading through the sticky posted at the top I will need to call my ag extension to find out more about the disease mentioned.
So will the turkey get along with the guinea and ducks? Of course with properly done and slow introduction..
Thank you for your advice.

I’m not sure so want to attempt adding 2 turkeys this spring or next as I need to gather as much info as I can.
I currently have 7 adult ducks and 6 adult guineas all born last April-June. This was an exercise for the huge tick population here. The guinea have done a good job.

Currently the ducks and guineas share a coop partitioned in half. Later this spring the ducks will have new digs and a wire and electric enclosure as the fox, mink and raccoons are a problem. Hawks too but my pen locations prevent Hawks from easily attacking. I’d like to House the turkey in the partitioned side with guineas on the other. I’d rather not have 3 or more coops here.

After reading through the sticky posted at the top I will need to call my ag extension to find out more about the disease mentioned.
So will the turkey get along with the guinea and ducks? Of course with properly done and slow introduction..
Thank you for your advice.
Turkeys, like guineas need more "personal space" than chickens. I recommend a minimum of at least 10 sq. ft. per adult turkey if they are to be kept in a coop. They need much more run space in addition to the coop space.

If you want a pair of turkeys, the best method is to wait until late summer or early fall to purchase a sexed pair locally. I don't recommend keeping a pair of turkeys as it can end up being very hard on the hen as the only object of the tom's desires. I try to keep a minimum of at least 4 to 5 hens for 1 tom.

Lastly & probably important to mention, I’ve several wild turkeys that occasionally visit. So disease, conflict etc are a concern.
These Turkeys will most likely be pets. I’d like to raise them for meat but don’t know enough about processing and have become a bit soft when it comes to killing & butchering. I’ve only butchered 3 guinea who where problematic here. Excessively noisy and uncooperative with going into the coop at night. I figured I should enjoy the meat and stop feeding the coons. They were delicious but a pain in the butt to pluck without tearing the skin. (Hate smell of feathers in hotH2O!!)
Turkeys, like guineas need more "personal space" than chickens. I recommend a minimum of at least 10 sq. ft. per adult turkey if they are to be kept in a coop. They need much more run space in addition to the coop space.

If you want a pair of turkeys, the best method is to wait until late summer or early fall to purchase a sexed pair locally. I don't recommend keeping a pair of turkeys as it can end up being very hard on the hen as the only object of the tom's desires. I try to keep a minimum of at least 4 to 5 hens for 1 tom.
Thank you much for the response.
I’ve plenty of room here but don’t want 4 or 5. The coop can easily provide 200sqft for two birds Turkeys and be out of view of the guineas on the other side.

What about pair of Toms or girls instead of male & female? I’d prefer the Toms if I can go that route and will have to buy them in the summer, imprinting and being tame is my only concern. I could go the 5 route and butcher or sell the remaining down to a pair of MM or FF.
I have wild turkey here regularly but they aren’t daily visitors. Are the Wild Turkey a problem for disease transmission w/ my poultry maybe? I would imagine the wild ones would show up from frequently if they think they’ve a lady to court??

I’ve only butchered 3 guinea who where problematic here. Excessively noisy and uncooperative with going into the coop at night. I figured I should enjoy the meat and stop feeding the coons. They were delicious but a pain in the butt to pluck without tearing the skin. (Hate smell of feathers in hotH2O!!)
I scald with 160°F water to avoid tearing the skin. People have long claimed that "pithing" makes feather plucking much easier. A search in the Meat Birds ETC forum will turn up threads on this method of killing poultry.
What about pair of Toms or girls instead of male & female? I’d prefer the Toms if I can go that route and will have to buy them in the summer, imprinting and being tame is my only concern. I could go the 5 route and butcher or sell the remaining down to a pair of MM or FF.
If your plan is to process them and not keep them through the winter, it really doesn't matter whether you get toms or hens. In that case you can start with poults because it won't matter what sexes you end up with. If you plan to process them it will be much easier on you if you don't imprint them or treat them as pets.

If you want them as pets, get a pair of hens.
I have wild turkey here regularly but they aren’t daily visitors. Are the Wild Turkey a problem for disease transmission w/ my poultry maybe? I would imagine the wild ones would show up from frequently if they think they’ve a lady to court??
I haven't had any issues with disease transmission from wild turkeys. Until this fall I have only had wild turkey hens show up. They were coming in because of my toms gobbling. This fall one of the wild hens brought her adult offspring here. Fortunately fall is not breeding season so they weren't a problem.

Back
Top Bottom