Considering chickens

It sounds like you have already given a lot of thought to the chickens (that I believe) you will ultimately get. Congrats on doing your research and joining this group!

Have you checked out Craigslist? I have gotten four coops that way. The first two were homemade by people who clearly had skills I do not, and the cost was $100 for one and $150 for the other. My other two Craigslist coops were a prefab Urban Coop (not one I would buy again; I use it now as a brooder and/or quarantine coop) and the coop in my avatar, which has withstood half a tree falling on it and required as much cash as the other three altogether.

I have multiple coops and keep anywhere from three to six birds in each, and generally allow my girls to choose their own roommates, based on how they do with each other while free ranging. I think it helps to keep the peace among the flock.

However, if you choose to get two coops rather than one, you will have double the labor when it comes to feeding, watering and coop cleaning. Not so bad in the summer, not at all fun in the winter.

As far as the breeds you mentioned, my flock currently includes an Orp, two Easter Eggers and two Cochin Bantams -- and I adore all of them. The EE's take up less space than the Orpington as, obviously, do the Cochins. Of course, my tiny Bantams produce tiny eggs -- but there's the whole cuteness factor!

And, no matter what you learn about chickens, every one of them can have her own personality quirks, so be prepared. Also, be prepared to find out that for many people, there's no such thing as "just a chicken." You may fall in love.

Welcome to BYC; let us know what happens next!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I wouldn't get the Eglu.. or two. They are too small for the number of birds and birds form flocks. They want to roost together. They won't go to separate coops unless you pen them separately.
If they are over crowded in the coop, you are more likely to hear screaming from them. The DLM method works in the run as long as the run is covered and well drained. Otherwise, it will become a wet stinking quagmire.

Back
Top Bottom