Considering converting to sand bedding in coop.

JaclynSunnyvale

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
I am considering switching from pine shavings to sand bedding in my coop 8’x8’.
Any advice is appreciated.
Pros/cons?
What type of sand?
How deep?
How do I clean it?

Thanks!

I used sand in a bare earth section that intentionally did not floor in my coop, under roost bars. I made a great poop door for easy cleaning, raking out. It was so awful - never dried completely, smelled, that I then finished construction and now its a insulated floor with plywood and Poop Trays/boards with Sand! Sand is dry and mixed with Stall Fresh. I scoop it daily. My coop smells like the lavendar and mint that I have in there now :cool:👍 The sand that I get is natural riverbed sand which is all over my property. If I didn't have it that easy I'd buy bags of play sand + Stall Fresh or PDZ.

I used sand in a bare earth section that intentionally did not floor in my coop, under roost bars. I made a great poop door for easy cleaning, raking out. It was so awful - never dried completely, smelled, that I then finished construction and now its a insulated floor with plywood and Poop Trays/boards with Sand! Sand is dry and mixed with Stall Fresh. I scoop it daily. My coop smells like the lavendar and mint that I have in there now :cool:👍 The sand that I get is natural riverbed sand which is all over my property. If I didn't have it that easy I'd buy bags of play sand + Stall Fresh or PDZ.
Do you scoop it with something like the link I inserted above?

Back
Top Bottom