Considering Guineas

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Howdy!

We have a lot of ticks on our property, esp in the goat pasture because we use our goats as brushers to keep the woods around our house from getting too overgrown.

Bern thinking about getting a few guineas. I've read folks keep them with their goats, too, so I'm thinking that might work out ok. Thoughts?

However, we have serious predators. The goat pasture is surrounded by electric netting that we move around. The netting is purportedly able to deter most 4-legged predators (except mountain lions, of course). But a fence is only good if it can contain them, and I know they can fly. We ask have Cooper's hawks, too.

Not looking to feed guineas to the local wildlife. Is there any way to keep them safe?

Howdy!

We have a lot of ticks on our property, esp in the goat pasture because we use our goats as brushers to keep the woods around our house from getting too overgrown.

Bern thinking about getting a few guineas. I've read folks keep them with their goats, too, so I'm thinking that might work out ok. Thoughts?

However, we have serious predators. The goat pasture is surrounded by electric netting that we move around. The netting is purportedly able to deter most 4-legged predators (except mountain lions, of course). But a fence is only good if it can contain them, and I know they can fly. We ask have Cooper's hawks, too.

Not looking to feed guineas to the local wildlife. Is there any way to keep them safe?
they will fly to different neighbors areas
Guineas spend 96% or more of their daylight time on the ground. They walk everywhere and only fly to get away from each other or predators. Young,adolescent guineas wil fly to test their wings and hang in trees some but the food is on the ground and thats where adult guineas are. If you get guineas, you'll want at least 8 -10 because they are flock birds and do best with their own kind. Guineas return to their coop every night if they are trained well and are very fun to watch. Their main down side is their constant chatter. Good luck

Guineas spend 96% or more of their daylight time on the ground. They walk everywhere and only fly to get away from each other or predators. Young,adolescent guineas wil fly to test their wings and hang in trees some but the food is on the ground and thats where adult guineas are. If you get guineas, you'll want at least 8 -10 because they are flock birds and do best with their own kind. Guineas return to their coop every night if they are trained well and are very fun to watch. Their main down side is their constant chatter. Good luck
Thank you!

Honestly, they sound like a good fit. They have a bunch of different color guineas at tsc. I'll think about it, but it sounds promising.

One other quick question. How much of a threat is a Cooper's hawk, d'you think? We have a couple who nest here in the spring.

One other quick question. How much of a threat is a Cooper's hawk, d'you think? We have a couple who nest here in the spring.
I have lost guineas to hawks 2/3 their size. They just eat em right there where they catch em.

I do think guineas would be a good addition for your situation though. When I moved onto my property it was tick heaven. I am taling like, 10+ ticks on the dogs every time they went outside, and plenty on us. After 2 years with guineas the tick problem is NON EXISTENT. I am currently down to 1 guinea, as they free range here with a coop for night and slowly they do get eaten. But I just ordered 13 more because they really do the job. It is worth it for me to order them every couple years and not have any ticks. I ordered them late in the season so I can keep them in their coop all winter. This will (hopefully) home them to the coop, so when I let them out in the spring, they will return to the coop at night.

Guineas are a real adventure, and quite loud, but also extremely entertaining and extremely proficient at their exterminator job. Another bonus is they (mostly) leave green plants alone. Sometimes they will pick the bugs right off my garden plants and just move on. A wonderful addition to the garden.

I have lost guineas to hawks 2/3 their size. They just eat em right there where they catch em.

I do think guineas would be a good addition for your situation though. When I moved onto my property it was tick heaven. I am taling like, 10+ ticks on the dogs every time they went outside, and plenty on us. After 2 years with guineas the tick problem is NON EXISTENT. I am currently down to 1 guinea, as they free range here with a coop for night and slowly they do get eaten. But I just ordered 13 more because they really do the job. It is worth it for me to order them every couple years and not have any ticks. I ordered them late in the season so I can keep them in their coop all winter. This will (hopefully) home them to the coop, so when I let them out in the spring, they will return to the coop at night.

Guineas are a real adventure, and quite loud, but also extremely entertaining and extremely proficient at their exterminator job. Another bonus is they (mostly) leave green plants alone. Sometimes they will pick the bugs right off my garden plants and just move on. A wonderful addition to the garden.
Sounds like our situation after a warm rain. The ticks this year are MADDENING with this weird weather we've been having. Yuck! But I have a real problem with guilt when something happens to an animal I care for - lol. I'm a wuss when it comes to losses.

Sounds like our situation after a warm rain. The ticks this year are MADDENING with this weird weather we've been having. Yuck! But I have a real problem with guilt when something happens to an animal I care for - lol. I'm a wuss when it comes to losses.
I totally understand your view. It doesn't make ya a wuss! I guess I handle it by reminding myself that I moved into a protected forest, that I knew was full of animals, and they have to eat too, blah blah blah. Hawks are my number 1 guinea predator, but 90% of losses happen in the winter, when the hawks are desperate. Just a bit more info! Good luck with the tick problem

Back
Top Bottom