Considering Guineas

The Guinea fowl we had were loud! I would find another way to deal with the ticks.
This I know, but our goat pasture is pretty far from the house and down a steep hill. Part of the year, we move the goats into a ravine. I don't mind loud. But the echo might drive the neighbors batty! The nearest neighbors are about 1/3 mile away. I've asked if they can hear the goats (my Nubian SCREAMS like the world is on fire when she's in heat), and they said no. But guineas....

And that's why I'm here, learning and weighing my options.

I think Guineas would be worth a try in your situation. I second that noise is a real issue for some people, though it doesn’t bother me personally. As for Coopers - I have lost guineas to Coopers. I’ve also lost them to red tails, bobcats, and a loose dog. More have been lost to unknown predators. For most predators, I lock the guineas into their coop and run for two weeks and the predators mostly move on. Also, my guineas seem to learn from their predators and will counter their moves. For example, when the Cooper’s hawk was preying on the flock, the guineas started staying tighter together and spending most of their time close to bushes and underbrush where they could take cover. When the bobcat was recently picking the guineas off, guineas started flushing very easily, and I saw them evade the bobcat once that way (that’s when I realized I had a bobcat issue again and locked the guineas in while taking steps to deter the bobcat). I do get very attached to my birds but have gotten better about calmly dealing with their inevitable losses from free ranging. I remind myself that guienas prefer to free range, that they have a good life, and that they survive where chickens can’t.

I think Guineas would be worth a try in your situation. I second that noise is a real issue for some people, though it doesn’t bother me personally. As for Coopers - I have lost guineas to Coopers. I’ve also lost them to red tails, bobcats, and a loose dog. More have been lost to unknown predators. For most predators, I lock the guineas into their coop and run for two weeks and the predators mostly move on. Also, my guineas seem to learn from their predators and will counter their moves. For example, when the Cooper’s hawk was preying on the flock, the guineas started staying tighter together and spending most of their time close to bushes and underbrush where they could take cover. When the bobcat was recently picking the guineas off, guineas started flushing very easily, and I saw them evade the bobcat once that way (that’s when I realized I had a bobcat issue again and locked the guineas in while taking steps to deter the bobcat). I do get very attached to my birds but have gotten better about calmly dealing with their inevitable losses from free ranging. I remind myself that guienas prefer to free range, that they have a good life, and that they survive where chickens can’t.
Very good info. Thank you!

They love ticks. There will be losses. You do your best and then do better, make sure their coop is secure & they're in it before dark,every night. There will still be losses,but not as many.
My coops are in the backyard, not far from the house. When they're in the coop, they're not loud. During the day & particularly during mating season, they can be. It doesn't bother us. They are enjoyable and I often sneak off to sit w/them.

Larger than a Sharp-shinned Hawk and about crow-sized, but males can be much smaller.

Relative Size
crow sized
crow-sized

Regional Differences​

Cooper’s Hawks from western North America are substantially smaller (weighing around one-fifth less) than birds in the East.

MEASUREMENTS​

• Male
    • Length: 14.6-15.3 in (37-39 cm)
    • Weight: 7.8-14.5 oz (220-410 g)
    • Wingspan: 24.4-35.4 in (62-90 cm)
  • Female
    • Length: 16.5-17.7 in (42-45 cm)
    • Weight: 11.6-24.0 oz (330-680 g)
    • Wingspan: 29.5-35.4 in (75-90 cm)
Look for Cooper’s Hawks to fly with a flap-flap-glide pattern typical of accipiters. Even when crossing large open areas they rarely flap continuously. Another attack maneuver is to fly fast and low to the ground, then up and over an obstruction to surprise prey on the other side.
They will eat chickens and guinea, if they have the leisure to do so in place. But they're smaller than guinea,won't be flying off w/full grown one, & "leisurely" isn't a premium for these hawks, bc they're always watching out for attacks from bigger hawks. They have learned that humans conveniently put outfood for local birds so will be seen at feeders. As always, everything is a threat to young guinea.

Back
Top Bottom