Considering Guineas

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by AndrewD, Apr 5, 2009.

1. AndrewD

AndrewD New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    Hey all,

I hope I got this in the right forum....I'm considering getting some guineas to go with my Rhode Island Reds. Is there anyone who has familiarity with this? Are they compatible? Obviously I'd keep them separate until the guineas were no longer chicks. I have 25 Rhode Island reds. They are Free Range.(ie locked down @ night)

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    From what I have heard they will get along. But guenias can fly and are much louder.

3. AndrewD

AndrewD New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    Thanks for that feedback. I'm not so worried about either of those things. Anyone have experience with heavy birds like the reds and guineas? My wife wanted broadbreasted turkeys but I think i talked her into guineas if I can prove they're compatible.

[​IMG]

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I've got 17 guineas and 12 chickens. Everyone sleeps and eats together ans so far get along fairly well. Now and then a guinea will chase a chicken and grab a feather but I haven't seen anything really mean. I've only had them for less than a year though.

They are loud but they're fun to watch.

5. PoultryPotts

PoultryPotts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Southwest IN
    My guineas would rather fly up in a tree than go in a coop.

6. AndrewD

AndrewD New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    How would Guineas fair in the colder weather. My chickens did good over the winter but my understanding is that guineas are an african bird. do they mind NY temperatures below freezing?

If they roost in trees overnight are they safe from predators? Any problems with that?

Thanks for that feedback.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Guineas should do fine as long as they have a coop. I know my nephew has some wild ones that make all through a Jersey winter with no problem and continue to breed and thrive.

If you live close to other people I wouldn't get Guineas. They are LOUD!!! I got rid of mine this summer while on chemo. Couldn't deal with the noise.

Got rid of the last 2 when they started threatening my poor 16 year old cat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by