considering meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shaggy, May 13, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i love a fat juicy chicken - my wife has never had a fresh chicken and i can't even begin to describe to her the awesomeness of fresh chicken straight from the yard to the bbq pit or gumbo pot

she is all about the egg layers .... i like both -- the thing is, we are limited in space and we live inside city limits

my question .... do they mature fast enough that I can butcher them before they get too noisy?

if i end up with a rooster, the day it crows will be the day it dies.

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    [​IMG]I can only speak of my experience. Ours didn't get old enough to crow. They are messy tho. But ours weren't as loud as our 'egg producers. see if you can go in on a small order with someone close by and just try a few. They are really quite messy.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Cornish X that we raise to 6-8 weeks never get old enough to crow. If you go with them, you'll be alright on the crowing thing. Regular dual purpose breeds would be old enough to crow before butchering size at 17-19 weeks.

True, Cornish X are messy...they grow, and poop, the same amount in 6 weeks that a layer type will in 5-6 months. I'd recommend a tractor that you can move around the yard - less cleanup than a coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by