Considering mini sheep and goats - lots of questions!

How much does the vetting cost for a goat or sheep? Vaccines etc? How frequent?
Are goats ‘worth it’ ? I know they’re cute but once the novelty wears off has anyone regretted them? They’re so much more trouble than chickens that I want to see how many people regret getting them.
It depends on the situation for example if your goat gets sick with an illness that you cannot treat and you have to take It to the vet It might get a little pricey just like dogs and cats can if they get sick. You can do vaccines your self
I never regretted getting goats and really enjoyed them however they were milk goats so supply's got a little pricey and we did not have the right land for goats
Anyway for pets I would suggest getting pygmy goats dwarf goats or mixed breed goats and say away from some of the harder to keep goats like nubians and alpines
It really depends on where you live and what you would use the goats for

How much does the vetting cost for a goat or sheep? Vaccines etc? How frequent?
Are goats ‘worth it’ ? I know they’re cute but once the novelty wears off has anyone regretted them? They’re so much more trouble than chickens that I want to see how many people regret getting them.
Ok....they are definitely moooooooore work than chickens...so...if you are at allllll
doubting it now....please read into it more. This is not an animal to just get lightly....they require more care than a dog. WAaaaaY more. They are expensive...it is work. But......they are soooo enjoyable. I do not regret my goats one bit. Not even when I got my HUGE bruise trimming hooves...my fault, BTW. But, it’s not something to take lightly...beca they are more delicate than you think...at least...the way I have been taught to care for my goats.

Depending on what your doing, you will have to make a choice. Meat goats include kikos and boers. They can be eaten and kept as pets and bred. They are not good for milk. We have dairy goats, specifically LaManchas. They’re the smartest breed you’ll find, and are so sweet. They have super little ears that are so adorable, and are great milkers at a medium size. Saanens are very large great milkers. Alpines are medium and good milkers too, but can be a bossier breed. So are Nubians, but they are VERY loud. Nigerian dwarfs are small and easily handled, but are good escape artists and are also super loud. Pygmy goats are also a meat breed, not good for milk and hard to find. I’ve heard that they’re good pets. Good luck! Do research! We’ve recommended good books and YouTube channels, have some fun!

I have the Nigerian Dwarf...she’s not loud...my Pygmy talks more...but neither are loud..just funny...there actually are Pygmy available in NW PA...and goats are a luxury around here.
:gig You got lucky then! We show goats at ADGA shows, and all the nigies always have a concert going, even at midnight! Even the breeders there say they get annoyed sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom