Considering part of my house for a coop?? (PIX ADDED NOW)

Why not just have a coop, separate from the house, with chickens that are a hardy variety? There are lots out there that can withstand tough winters. Why invest in that space (near your bedroom) when you can just create a different space?

I wouldn't have them in my home, previous barn or not. I would never keep full grown poultry in my house. There are just too many cons and not enough pros! Stinky, dusty, buggy, pooey... give them their own space.

Edited to add: Here is a chart where you can see which chickens are cold hardy. I really think this is the better way to go. Also find local people who already keep chickens and see what they have. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/dual.html

Last edited:
Quote:
They don't have to be. It depends on how many you have. I thought she said she wanted 6 hens. That's not many and I know you can control the smell and dust for that many birds. If she already has a space for them in the attached barn area why build something else?

Raven880 - i love, Love, LOVE your bird room! How cool is that? If we had a larger home, i would want to do something similar. It would keep the birds safe from predators, and i would think they would become more like pets. i love to spend time with my chickens, but can't sit out in their pens all day.

And, the dust that comes from keeping baby chicks in the house is not poo, it's dust from the feed. i changed the bedding in my brooder 5-7 times a day when i was raising chicks, so the poo never had a chance to dry, and still had that dust covering everything.

Quote:
I think we are leaning toward building a shed with an attached coop and getting hardy chickens. We need a shed anyway, so maybe this will force the issue.

Aside from having half of it already built, the pros would have included that there's already electric and water and we wouldn't have to go outside to care for them or get eggs.

Of the cons you mentioned, the one that I can't get past is 'buggy.' Mites and lice in my house sound quite gross. If they are potentially inherent in the situation, then, yeah, having them unattached to the house is probably better. Maybe if it was not living space on the other side of one wall and the ceiling it would be different.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate each one of them and now I know where I can find a helpful community
smile.png

Good for you, hob. I know it is difficult when you really want to have chickens, but you're just not sure how to house them or where. Chickens are birds, and many (who do not have large combs or thin feathers) love being outdoors in winter. I'm sure many here can post endless pictures of their birds enjoying snow and really thriving in outdoor conditions. You'd be amazed just how hardy chickens can be given the right coop for nighttime.

As for electricity, that reminds me of another post I wanted to start about using solar shed lights.

Keep thinking chickens and don't stop until you have just the right space for them. It is worth it to you and your family
smile.png

Thanks. I've had that room for about 15 yrs for my parrots and finches and one Kormorner dove that I rescued. It was a natural to put pet chickens in there for the "floor" area. Little did I know when I started that many of them would NOT stay on the floor!
big_smile.png
The cochin bantams have taken over my macaws cage as their night roost and use her perches. Surprisingly she accepted them doing that and stays out on her play area....with one of the bantam cochin pullets who seems to be her buddy.
And the Key West chickens and the one single Polish fly up high and use the skinny finch perches near the ceiling. I had no idea that chickens could get up that high. LOL Never a dull moment in there. I'll have to put up some more pics on the web album.Most of what's there is when they were little chicks.

Quote:

Quote:
Umm, what's a United Empire Loyalist???

I like your bird room Hobbit. If my house was large enough I'd have one too.
The silkie flock would be very happy to live in the main house.
I'm from New England too. I understand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom