Considering separating one hen with her own coop

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
I have a sapphire gem hen with a leg injury since she was a chick. She's mostly a loner. The others seem to chase her off and otherwise bother her. We've been feeding her/giving treats separately for awhile. Many nights lately, she would rather sleep in the run than go into the house. I have to put her up there.

With that said, I'm considering getting a small coop and run just for her. Placing the small coop inside the secure run and have a chicken sized door put in so she can get out into the outer run, which will be a fenced off section just for her. (if that makes sense). She will have an area/coop all to herself but not necessarily be away from the flock. My husband isn't too keen on breaching that thick wire on the secure run but I think I can convince him.

Anyone have a similar situation? I can't ask her if this is something she would prefer (LOL) but "I" think she will be happier. Asking for input before I go through the effort.

Could you do the separate coop entirely inside the secure run? That way you would not have to make a hole in it.
Thinking of all the possibilities.
The main/more secure run has sand as flooring. If she can get to outer run she would be able to dust bathe in the dirt and get more sun.
Live in the south of USA so the main run is kept shaded due to the heat.

Outer, less secure run, for more daytime space.
Thinking of fencing off the left section from corner post to first post after it.

Attachments

• IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Thinking of all the possibilities.
The main/more secure run has sand as flooring. If she can get to outer run she would be able to dust bathe in the dirt and get more sun.
Live in the south of USA so the main run is kept shaded due to the heat.
So you want her in the secure run at night (for safety) but with access to the outer less-secure run in the day (for dustbathing and other reasons).

Yes, that is more difficult. If you make a hole in the secure run, you probably need to open it in the morning and close it in the evening.

Would it be easier to have two pens for this hen, and just carry her back and forth each morning and evening? That way one pen could be inside the secure run, and one in the outer run. (But that may pose issues with shade, nestboxes, and other fixtures, so maybe not any easier in the long run.)

So you want her in the secure run at night (for safety) but with access to the outer less-secure run in the day (for dustbathing and other reasons).

Yes, that is more difficult. If you make a hole in the secure run, you probably need to open it in the morning and close it in the evening.

Would it be easier to have two pens for this hen, and just carry her back and forth each morning and evening? That way one pen could be inside the secure run, and one in the outer run. (But that may pose issues with shade, nestboxes, and other fixtures, so maybe not any easier in the long run.)
Decisions. Decisions. I've been trying to think of the best way to do this for awhile. LOL
For weather and nest box issue, I guess putting in that chicken door is our best bet. Definitely want her in the more secure run at night, too.

Input #2 Plant suggestions?

If we do the separation thing, which I think will happen, Darla won't be able to get to the summer area run behind the coop. Since she can't really scratch up the roots of plants like the other hens I'm thinking of adding some plants to her section of the outdoor run. Of course, I will also be adding some shade cloth over a part of it.

We have elephant ears every where. Maybe putting one in a large pot in the middle for shade and hiding under? Other suggestions? I'm aware she will still scratch up some things and certainly eat any clover/grass.

Back
Top Bottom