Constantly sleepy hen

Yes and no. Sometimes only one gets it badly enough to show any real effects while the others have better immune systems, so they don't look sick. But that isn't a safe bet!! I'd get the whole flock on liquid Amprol (you'll need to go to a vet, but the Amprol itself should be only a few dollars) if I were you, and get that poor hen a fecal sample to make sure of what is afflicting her. It sounds very much like cocci. She will only die if it gets really really bad, and right now it sounds like she is heading that way, so you should act fast if possible.

-MTchick

Once I get them on amprol, should I go around and super-clean and sterilize the coop and run? How would I go about doing this?

I'm not an expert, but my short answer is "no." The cocci is all over everything, and all your chickens have it in them. It is only the one that got sick that has a bad case of it. Therefore, you have very little to gain by sterilizing the coop.

When my chick got this, I looked into the same thing and discovered that cocci needs moist places, with chicken poo in them, to become infectious. Places like wet pine shavings, damp soiled food, muddy spots in the run, etc. So I made sure that everything was extremely dry and super tidy while they were under treatment. Disinfecting by these means isn't hard and I don't think actually bleaching and so forth would be any more effective because all the chickens already have cocci in them, guaranteed. It is just a matter of minimizing and getting that one chicken back on track, and then continuing to keep things dry and sanitary as much as possible.

Good luck!

-MTchick

Well it seems the only vet in my area that sees birds (not just chickens, but any birds) wont sell me amprol without seeing them, which is just silly.

Anyways, would any of you be able to sell me some in small quantities? I can't afford a big bottle, literally. If my bird was going to die unless I forked out the money for a gallon of it, I'd have no choice but to let it.

I really appreciate any leads on cheap amprol,

Regards,
Eric
smile.png

I'm so sorry the vet didn't bother selling Amprol. That stinks. Where did you find the gallon-sized bottle--at your feed store or the vet? First State Vet Supply does have a 16 oz. bottle for $16.95 but there's shipping and waiting for the product to arrive.....

Here's an idea--Post your request for Amprol in the buy~sell forum. Be sure to tell us your city & state.

Stephanie

I forgot to ask....is the hen eating anything at all? Try giving her some buttermilk with fresh, chopped garlic in it. Add some warmed honey too--for energy.

I know the medicated chick feed has some Amprollium in it (low dose)...this might be better than nothing at all....What does everyone else think about using this if a person can't get Amprol at all?
Stephanie

She's eating and doing all the normal stuff, she's just moving really, really slow and sleeping all the time. That and the diarrhea.

distincthead--post your request for Amprol on the buy, sell, trade section AND be sure to say what city/state you're in. I'm sure somebody will be willing to give you some.
Stephanie

Distinct,

I got a similar reaction to my hen with diarrhea - I just wanted a fecal exam and the antibiotics to fix it without the actual exam. The third vet I contacted that treats birds finally explained to me that by law they HAVE to examine the animal in order to prescribe antibiotics. I'm in MN, don't know if it's a state-to-state thing or if most states have similar laws on this.

So I brought the hen in, paid my $60 exam fee to find out her diarrhea isn't likely contagious (other issues). But when I mentioned a second hen was experiencing diarrhea, the vet told me to just bring in a fecal - no exam needed - on the second hen and they would prescribe any antibiotics needed at that time.

Perhaps they just need one bird on the books to play by the book if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps,
Sandy

Okay, one of our loving members has sent me amprol but it hasn't arrived yet. I've been taking super special care of Nite Nitin' (that's her new name) but without the meds there's not much I can do. She has now stopped eating enough. I was hand feeding her oatmeal with yogurt, sometimes garlic, and honey but now she's drifting off in between mouthfuls.

I know the chances, etc., of her making it but can someone here please give me a way to feed her? Maybe by oral syringe? I want to exhaust my efforts.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom