Constantly Vocal Bird

Helen in the Desert

Songster
11 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Palm Springs
I have 3 guinea that are just reaching maturity. They free range with a flock of chickens. One individual honks constantly and the neighbors are starting to complain. I don't know who is male or female yet. If I send this individual off to live somewhere else will one of the others take up the call? Or is this an individual or male/female trait?

Thanks!

It's probably a Hen, and she's doing what Guinea Hens do... the non-stop buck-wheat call. Once they discover their voices they keep using them for a while before they decide to quiet down, but some Hens never stop. Guineas aren't known for being quiet birds. The other 2 Guineas you have may be males, but if you have another Hen that just hasn't started calling yet she may chime in soon after you re-home the vocal Hen.

Sorry to hear you have complaining neighbors, some people just like to complain and aren't happy unless they are complaining.

Last edited:
My hen started buck-wheating, and she NEVER STOPPED for about a week. Then she quieted down, but she can still crank up and drive the neighbors nuts, but I think that's part of her charm. I have neighbors that didn't like my previous guineas because they had nested on their (heavily wooded) property. They were worried about the poop, too. They said, "The noise isn't the problem..." Well, okaaay.

So noise? Ha. I say bring it on. LOL. The more it annoys my neighbors, the better. But I live in an area where livestock is allowed and the laws are pretty relaxed. I know others don't have that luxury.

She may calm down soon. Wait it out.

Back
Top Bottom