Constipated broody hen, anything more I need to do?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
One of my hens has been broody for the last 3 and a bit weeks, and has been coming of the nest every day, to eat drink and poop no problem.
3 days ago, the first chick hatched, and since then she didn't come off the nest. Yesterday evening, when I did my last check on them, I noticed a bit of a smell in the nesting box, and thought that she might have pooped, so this morning I took her and all 6 chicks (they had all hatched at this point) out of the nest, so she could relieve herself.
She kept trying to poop, but all that was coming out was a bit of the runny white part. She was looking like she might prolapse, and there was a bit of blood coming out. I could see the poop right there, but she just couldn't get it out.
So I went and got some olive oil in a syringe, and put it in her vent, around the poop. This seemed to work, and fairly large chunk came out, and she seemed to be feeling better afterwards.
Was this the right thing to do, and is there anything more I should do, except keep an eye on her?

Did she drink water while in the nest box with the chicks? I would get her drinking water. Chilled coconut oil 1 tsp twice a day can be cut into small pieces for her to peck, and that can help soften her poop along with the water. She may be dehydrated. Has she been showing the chicks water?

Did she drink water while in the nest box with the chicks? I would get her drinking water. Chilled coconut oil 1 tsp twice a day can be cut into small pieces for her to peck, and that can help soften her poop along with the water. She may be dehydrated. Has she been showing the chicks water?
She's got water in the nesting box, but I haven't seen her drink it. So that could be an issue.
I'll try to get her more interested in, I had presumed that she would get what she wanted, but maybe not I guess.
I don't have any coconut oil, and I can't get to the shops for at least a few days. Is there anything else that I could give her? Like mix olive oil with her food, and see if she will eat it?

So she doesn't seem constipated any more, but she does till look rather red and sore around her vent. Do you think this will improve by itself?
I've been encouraging her to drink, which she has been doing, and also to eat, which she doesn't seem the most enthusiastic about it, but maybe thats just because of feeding the chicks.

@Eggcessive here's some photos of her vent, it's like whenever it moves a small piece of red tissue comes out, and then goes back in.
Is this a prolapse? And will it fix itself?
Sorry the pics aren't very good, I didn't want to bother her to much. Most of the messy stuff on the feathers is from the oil I put there.

Attachments

• 20220929_140759.jpg
    20220929_140759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220929_140711.jpg
    20220929_140711.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220929_140705.jpg
    20220929_140705.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 1
Olive oil is fine to give her, but I will mix it in a little scrambled egg or other treat she would eat. It does look like she is prolapsing. Her vent looks like it has been pecked at. I would clean her up with soap and water. Having chicks complicates things, so soaking her bottom would be a problem. I would put on a disposable glove or use a clean finger and insert a lubricated finger into her vent to feel for an impaction, and clean it out if possible. Apply a little more oil to the vent.

Olive oil is fine to give her, but I will mix it in a little scrambled egg or other treat she would eat. It does look like she is prolapsing. Her vent looks like it has been pecked at. I would clean her up with soap and water. Having chicks complicates things, so soaking her bottom would be a problem. I would put on a disposable glove or use a clean finger and insert a lubricated finger into her vent to feel for an impaction, and clean it out if possible. Apply a little more oil to the vent.
I cleaned it up as well as I could, and its looking quite a lot better. The "prolapse" if that was what it was, as almost completely gone, so I didn't have a feel around, as I was concerned that I might actually make it worse again.
She doesn't like eating the oil, never mind what I mix it with, but I found that she likes eating sardines, so she got some of those.
Hopefully it should keep improving now, and thanks a lot for your help!

Back
Top Bottom