1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Constipated chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blisschick, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I had a bunch of chicks hatch this past weekend. One of them is now doing the 'distressed peep', so I checked to see if there was anything wrong phyiscally with it. The only thing that I've found wrong with it is that it's abdomen feels hard, which makes me think that it's either constipated, or it has something wrong inside. Is there anything I can give it to help it poop, or is this poor baby doomed?

2. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just had the same problem with a chick 2 days ago. I gave her a few drops of mineral oil and put grated apple in her food that I moistened. I also had to use prep-h to shrink swelling of her vent. she is fine now but noticeably smaller than the others I got at the same time.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I had that problem with my last chicks and I used a tsp of sugar in a qt of lukewarm water and it cleared up fine. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by