Constructing a coop and run on asphalt ( Parking lot)

Bibilibop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Chambly, quebec
Hello..

Since my first location in the backyard for my coop does not please my neighbor, we had to find a new place...
The backyard can't really be used. It's the daycare place, and my mom doesn't want.
So, we have this REALLY long parking lot, that we would separate, on the side of the house ( So a lot of shadow) and build the coop there...

I would put sand and gravel in the run, for their feet.
COuld this work... ? I'm scared it may be too hot in summer...

Thanks

Last edited:
Sand on the asphalt would help with the heat. Any shade you can provide will give the chickens some relief from the heat.

Chris

Plenty of shade...use a shade cloth, tarp, or even build a little open "clubhouse" for them to get some shade.

Sand...hmmmm...I have sand in my run, but I make sure I have plenty of grass clippings during the hot months. (Did you ever walk across a sandy beach in the summer with the sun out?)

Thank you for the answer!

Okay, they will have a lot of shade. Since it's on the side of the house, they will have sun in the morning, and shade in the afternoon. I will also make sure they can hide.

I didn't think about the hot sand... If I mix it with grass clipings is it okay? Or do you have other ideas?

I put the grass clippings right on top of the sand. The next time I cut the grass, I rake the old ones off and through a new batch on. Some does get mixed into the sand, but I don't worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom