constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curiously, what is it exactly you trying to accomplish? It doesn't look like a very natural enviroment to me, and there are alot of unnatural variables to this project, yet, you don't offer much in advantages fpr your chickens..they must truly be a hardy breed to have survived thus far, but I wouldn't say flourished, seems like a high mortality rate going on.
Just my observation

frow.gif
hello ! I think it's fascinating, that you have a hen setting on a nest right on your porch where you can see her easily.
hide.gif
She must feel safe and hidden away from that hawk.
D.gif
I agree with above reply; add a bunch of fake plants & greenery to help hide the nest and hatchlings:jumpy
ya.gif
GOOD LUCK!
thumbsup.gif

centrarchid

I just had a devastating thing happen. Something got into my coop and killed all of my adult Guineas. There were eleven in that one and right next door I have 30 Keets, appx two months old. I went up to patch where I thought the predator got in and found two dead Keets and counted beaks and I am down four total. Its either a raccoon or a bobcat.... I am leaning toward bobcat because here in the desert the racoons are few and far between.

That being said. I read your other threads on how you were developing high roosts for your flock. I have also read another thread talking about Cotes.... But I really like your high roosts. Because Guineas want to roost as high as they can get. Do you think this application would be applicable for guineas..... Right now the Littluns are able to fly as high as my house roof. The only reason we dont allow them to free range is because our trees are too short and a bobcat can go right up after them. Or There is no overhead protection from Owls. During the day left to their own devices they are pretty secure from flying predator. Would covering the vertical posts with steel or slick ABS plastic be enough deterrent for predators that can climb?

perchie.girl :

centrarchid

I just had a devastating thing happen. Something got into my coop and killed all of my adult Guineas. There were eleven in that one and right next door I have 30 Keets, appx two months old. I went up to patch where I thought the predator got in and found two dead Keets and counted beaks and I am down four total. Its either a raccoon or a bobcat.... I am leaning toward bobcat because here in the desert the racoons are few and far between.

That being said. I read your other threads on how you were developing high roosts for your flock. I have also read another thread talking about Cotes.... But I really like your high roosts. Because Guineas want to roost as high as they can get. Do you think this application would be applicable for guineas..... Right now the Littluns are able to fly as high as my house roof. The only reason we dont allow them to free range is because our trees are too short and a bobcat can go right up after them. Or There is no overhead protection from Owls. During the day left to their own devices they are pretty secure from flying predator. Would covering the vertical posts with steel or slick ABS plastic be enough deterrent for predators that can climb?

Sorry for your losses.

That many being lost at once is consistent with coyote or fox. Bobcats do not take everything out of fridge at once. They come back later.

My elevated roosts are not bobcat proof as the critters can easily jump vertically into one. My dog makes roosting on ground safe in respect to bobcats. Even a coyote could jump into roost but dog again keeps coyote too worried to invest effort. Occasionally adult(s) coyotes with pups go right through my chicken yard at night but are only passing through. Tracks indicate they walk right under roost but they do not even seem to pause. Again integrated pest management.

If coyote, then for short-term harden up the coop so critter cannot get in. Previously you mentioned dogs, could you pen them up around around coop? For short-term allowing keets to roost in top of thorny trees may be wise, especially if great horned owls not too abundant. You can make post difficult to climb for racoons, bandicoots and oppossums with modifactions making it so claws can not gain purchase. If birds could be trained to go into remote roost with wire bottom, that will likely defeat bobcat or coyote that might be able to jump up. Neither will be able to force way through wire and climb at same time if everything built well. Do you have a barn with livestock?​

Quote:
Sorry for your losses.

That many being lost at once is consistent with coyote or fox. Bobcats do not take everything out of fridge at once. They come back later.

My elevated roosts are not bobcat proof as the critters can easily jump vertically into one. My dog makes roosting on ground safe in respect to bobcats. Even a coyote could jump into roost but dog again keeps coyote too worried to invest effort. Occasionally adult(s) coyotes with pups go right through my chicken yard at night but are only passing through. Tracks indicate they walk right under roost but they do not even seem to pause. Again integrated pest management.

If coyote, then for short-term harden up the coop so critter cannot get in. Previously you mentioned dogs, could you pen them up around around coop? For short-term allowing keets to roost in top of thorny trees may be wise, especially if great horned owls not too abundant. You can make post difficult to climb for racoons, bandicoots and oppossums with modifactions making it so claws can not gain purchase. If birds could be trained to go into remote roost with wire bottom, that will likely defeat bobcat or coyote that might be able to jump up. Neither will be able to force way through wire and climb at same time if everything built well. Do you have a barn with livestock?

No barn... we do have foxes and Coyotes.... I just found out about the Foxes. But there is no digging around the outside of the coop the access was through a gap between the wood and the Dog kennel panels. approximately three inches..... This has been subsequently eliminated. A friend is giving me some aviaries So the Coop is going to get hardened with aviary panels. These are ten gauge wire with 1/2 x 3 inch spacings. Suitable for hook bill parrots. Hot dipp Galvanized after welding too. I can strip off the chainlink from the outside Dog kennels and replace with this wire. Believe me anything that gets through WILL be edible.

I have to keep them in because I want to get them to establish an egg laying routine in the coop. I am unable to search out a nest from a Guine hen who has gone walk about. ONce down on a nest they are good as dead outside the coop and run area.

I dont have dogs at this point up there but have been considering getting an LGD Probably a Kengal or Kengal Cross of some sort. Even a Rottwieler.... They were also a multipurpose dog in Germany...... We get two legged predators as well.... sad to say.

So back to my original plan.... Hardening the coop..... thanks for letting me whine... and for the advice.

You can make post difficult to climb for racoons, bandicoots and oppossums with modifactions making it so claws can not gain purchase.

how would one do this?​

perchie.girl,
You gotta setback but appears you good options. Make certain your dog can handle heat. Great Pyrenees used here have a rough time when it gets really hot. If starting with pup, you are a good 6 months from having dog protection from coyotes. You find that making kennel around coops good option that will also help with imprinting. With our chickens, hens would sometimes lay eggs in doghouse which gets ticklish for dog when coming and going once hen starts setting.

eggdd,
You can greatly hinder the clawed climbers by using two methods. First is wrapping post in sheet metal for at least 48 inches. Second is to make an inverted cone of metal they have climb in order to reach base of. Make certain it is flaired enough so critter can not stretch and reach edge while climbing post. A monkey could defeat both options but that is not problem for most folks.

Move to new roost not going well.
Sallie committed to brooding 3rd clutch of 2011 today in location very close to red jungle fowl lost hers. I will find and transfer to incubator. It is too late in season for chicks to start and yet be ready for winter unless reared in barn. Chicks will be tagged and reared along with last cohort of dominiques that will be cooped as well.

Eduardo is doing classical broody rooster our games do where he takes over brood care when hen commits to incubating next brood and he does not have another hen to occupy him. The number of young seems to influence whether will or will not become broody. Sallie on nest and red jungle hen roosting elswhere so Eduardo stays with chicks that are yet inclined to accept move to new location.
41527_eduardo_as_broody_rooster_staying_with_his_offspring.jpg

Quote:
Kengals come from Turkey and are livestock guardians.... but are a bit more trainable.... And for a LGD they have a short double coat.... good for hot and cold. I would not want a Great Pyrenees here because of the heat and because of the cactus. We have Cholla, jumping cactus, not fun.

I love your night pix...

Move to new roost not going well.
Sallie committed to brooding 3rd clutch of 2011 today in location very close to red jungle fowl lost hers. I will find and transfer to incubator. It is too late in season for chicks to start and yet be ready for winter unless reared in barn. Chicks will be tagged and reared along with last cohort of dominiques that will be cooped as well.

Eduardo is doing classical broody rooster our games do where he takes over brood care when hen commits to incubating next brood and he does not have another hen to occupy him. The number of young seems to influence whether will or will not become broody. Sallie on nest and red jungle hen roosting elswhere so Eduardo stays with chicks that are yet inclined to accept move to new location.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/fo...broody_rooster_staying_with_his_offspring.jpg

We have a problem. When Sallie is absent from flock to brood clutch 3 in yet to be determined location, only 12 front porch flock juveniles can be counted, day or night. When Sallie is present, 13 chicks can be counted. I am pretty certain the juvenile that is present only while Sallie is present is the same pullet that hangs with Sallie the most prior to initiation of incubation. If all goes as with Spud (who is doing well with another free ranging on otherside of property), then the pullet staying with Sallie as she incubates will be a threat to the next brood. I will have to double efforts to locate nest and bust it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom