constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this thread has little practical value for me (I don't ever plan to keep game birds), I find this fascinating. I love the scientific approach. Sucks how judgmental some people can be though, when they know so little about you, your flock, and your circumstances.

Quote:
He certainly has and I hope he is doing his daddy proud (daddy took a less honorable path to success) . I hope to keep Eduardo and Sallie for a very long time as they have also been very good and willing teaching tools. Neither is at peak yet either. The second set of adult feathers on Eduardo should be much more impressive. I hope to collect some of those and his present feather sets from molts for comparison.

If you want something temporary, can you plant veggie plants around the yard? e.g. set up pole beans in one place, maybe a patch of corn in another, tomatoes in metal cages would interfer with a bird attack... but if you want this as a norm, maybe you should plant more permanent bushes to provide the cover needed?

Quote:
Nest site elevated about 4 feet above porch concrete. Plantings will not do this year as chicks will be hatched before late April. Next year though planting option may well be pursued. If dog keeps four-leggers out at night, than plantings will be way to go. I am thinking about grape arbors forming a tunnel in which I can ultimately hide nest sites under.

Quote:
According to my mother, a solid 6 generations with same family name. As for logic, more credit is given than due. I have kept birds for years but took for granted all the very interesting behaviors they engage in. The games at least have a rather large set of behaviors that keep them out of or get them into trouble. The behaviors are quite different than the dominiques and California greys I am also studying in some detail.

Are you writing a book on this subject I think it would be an interesting read...
caf.gif

perchie.girl :

Quote:
According to my mother, a solid 6 generations with same family name. As for logic, more credit is given than due. I have kept birds for years but took for granted all the very interesting behaviors they engage in. The games at least have a rather large set of behaviors that keep them out of or get them into trouble. The behaviors are quite different than the dominiques and California greys I am also studying in some detail.

Are you writing a book on this subject I think it would be an interesting read...
caf.gif

Probably could but I may be treating my chickens too much like wildlife. I do not feel confident about my knowledge of the birds. Lots of subtle behaviors just starting to catch my attention that make me think some breeds are more complex behaviorally than what meets the eye.

Sallie committed to brooding clutch she set as of 17 March 2011. First egg laid 19 February 2012. Difference in age pushing 1 month. Eggs / embryos were exposed to temperatures as low as 28 F. This is Sallies first breeding attempt. She never produced the "pullet" eggs as she went strait into producing full size eggs. I'll doubt 50% hatch will be realized.

Image of Sallie brooding clutch of 21 eggs / embryos.

EDIT: At beginning of incubation period Sallie's weight with topped off crop is 1500 g on the nose. She lets me carry her into house when she is ready to return to nest. Otherwise when off nest I am a waste of her time. I do not handle her when setting because despite being hand-raised, such a stressor might cause her to abandon clutch. She makes no effort to get sassy with me but grumbles when other hens approach and gets riled when Scoob, German short-haired pointer, starts sniffing about.

41527_dsc00137.jpg

Following chart shows clutch size (number of eggs / embryos / chicks) as function of time. Deposition pattern (4 eggs every 5 days), yellow indicates 21-d incubation period, and time beyond for expected duration of post-hatch parental care (~ 84 d). Actuall number after 17 March will be adjusted downwards as inviable eggs culled and chicks lost to whatever causes.

41527_sallie_brood_1_21.gif

Last edited:
Interesting thread. The first few years I had chickens I didn't have a coop. Didn't even know I needed one. I have a dog that patrols, so no more varmints, except hawks. But you are right ab0ut those roos! They get it in their heads what is best for the ladies and they don't care what my plans are! lol

Purpose behind this thread is to explore methods for recording multiple aspects of brood rearing and growth. Will be repeated later this summer with second brood. Something already apparent is that Sallie stays off nest for a solid 3 hours from 0900 to 1200 while feeding and taking her poop break. Seems like that is too long. Next round a time-lapse camera will be used to see if that pattern holds up.

Sallie has also managed to reunite with sub-flock each time off nest. If she makes a racket of any sort indicating she is not happy, Eduardo (harem master) comes a running with feathers fluffed out just like a hen running across yard to flog something. Looks like he will be consistent with his kind in protecting his brood from bad guys.

I will attempt to film his fluffed behavior next time Sallie gets riled up. Sallie does not get riled up by me, even when near nest. Hand raising does have its benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom