constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, due date late June. I am all fired up. Will result in ample supple minds to train at raising food, hunting, fishing and doing dishes so I do not have to.

I have a friend in New York that has a whole flock of Sumatras.... I will ask him if he has any video. That video of the Phoenix was pretty impressive. There is some similarities in their conformation.... But then I am rather new to Chicken conformation so I could be way off.

deb
thanks and i hope he does

Quote: No he doesn't have any. Hes heard what he calls the legend of them flying from island to island. His free range completely to the same extend as Centrarchid's games live. He says hes sees his fly 100 feet regularly to and from the trees to his house. I suspect he doesn't have the same clear flight space as Centrarchid does. Though he says they at least fly as well as the wild turkeys in the area.

I think I kind of agree with what Centrarchids suggestion was that they depended on tropical storms to help get them from island to island. Of course we cant rule out small temporary settlements and trade between islands too.

deb

RedJungleFowl,

I might be able to walk you through process of getting birds to make flights that are easy to record on video. Best breed I think would be some version of American games. Most videos on internet could easily be bettered with a little effort.

Yes, due date late June.  I am all fired up.  Will result in ample supple minds to train at raising food, hunting, fishing and doing dishes so I do not have to.
Congratulations! You'll have a flock of your own before long. I found it just increased the number of dishes I wound up doing...

No he doesn't have any. Hes heard what he calls the legend of them flying from island to island. His free range completely to the same extend as Centrarchid's games live. He says hes sees his fly 100 feet regularly to and from the trees to his house. I suspect he doesn't have the same clear flight space as Centrarchid does. Though he says they at least fly as well as the wild turkeys in the area.

I think I kind of agree with what Centrarchids suggestion was that they depended on tropical storms to help get them from island to island. Of course we cant rule out small temporary settlements and trade between islands too.

deb

oh so they will fly from island to island

RedJungleFowl,

I might be able to walk you through process of getting birds to make flights that are easy to record on video. Best breed I think would be some version of American games. Most videos on internet could easily be bettered with a little effort.

does it have to be american game can't it be like leghorn or australorp or red jungle fowl

Quote: We dont know. Its just rumor and speculation and stories no real documentation. I was reiterating one of those stories when I brought the whole thing up originally.

Flying with a purpose is way different than a monsoon whipping through and stripping you from your roost and depositing you on another island. But I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle. Short hops with the help from Sumatran people bringing them with them. Some of those Islands are not very far apart. You cannot take people out of the equation.

To bring it back on subject sortof the whole discussion some pages before was about having birds that were able to survive in the environment against predators and hearty to the weather. The ability to fly is a defense that most domesticated Chickens have had bred out of them. I brought up Sumatras because they are closer to their original state of evolution than most.

deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom