constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trueman with current hen of front porch flock. She flogged him a few days prior without effect. He no longer harasses them but does feed them more than I like.

Ralph is cock of walk in yard proper and has a well defined border where he battles Elmo, harem master of American Dominique flock in pasture. They have gotten into three major battles of the last month with both birds bloodied pretty good. Skirmishes are still pretty frequent near border with chases and even a few pittings but most is now display with very little contact. Ralph occasionally slips into Elmo's turf and acts like a satellite male trying score with Elmo"s ladies. Interestingly, I have not observed any of Elmo's ladies allow a cloacal kiss with Ralph even though he does jump on one now and then in effort to father chicks before Elmo runs him off. When back in his own turf Ralph sometimes has trouble chasing of members of Elmo's harem although the back hen with Ralph's chicks seems to provide motivation and even helps. Ralph is much more aggressive even with Elmo when his own harem is close by.

Today a Coopers hawk flew over and black hen with chicks out in open called 4 week old chicks up under her skirt and prepared for battle. Hawk was already distracted by mob of Purple Martins and Scoob (dog) was in prime position to back hen up. Scoob very good about going after raptors; both owl and hawks. Last winter he actually caught a barred owl and the game with Great-horned Owls is very much worth filming if I can get camera to work at a distance after dark.

Ralph is cock of walk in yard proper and has a well defined border where he battles Elmo, harem master of American Dominique flock in pasture. They have gotten into three major battles of the last month with both birds bloodied pretty good. Skirmishes are still pretty frequent near border with chases and even a few pittings but most is now display with very little contact. Ralph occasionally slips into Elmo's turf and acts like a satellite male trying score with Elmo"s ladies. Interestingly, I have not observed any of Elmo's ladies allow a cloacal kiss with Ralph even though he does jump on one now and then in effort to father chicks before Elmo runs him off. When back in his own turf Ralph sometimes has trouble chasing of members of Elmo's harem although the back hen with Ralph's chicks seems to provide motivation and even helps. Ralph is much more aggressive even with Elmo when his own harem is close by.

Today a Coopers hawk flew over and black hen with chicks out in open called 4 week old chicks up under her skirt and prepared for battle. Hawk was already distracted by mob of Purple Martins and Scoob (dog) was in prime position to back hen up. Scoob very good about going after raptors; both owl and hawks. Last winter he actually caught a barred owl and the game with Great-horned Owls is very much worth filming if I can get camera to work at a distance after dark.
After I removed a young (just under 18" tall) Great Horned Owl from my DW'S pigeon loft (still alive and unharmed), I would have liked to have seen a flim of that HOOO,RAAA!!! 5 beheaded birds and it's snapping/hissing/spitting at me. I had some fun that day!
I would like to see your flim!!
Scott

Trueman with Brownie and her brood. Brownie is a little dinged up from fighting but will be healed good as new within a couple days.

Prior to shots with Trueman, Brownie was in knock down dragout with the black hen. Outcome was very important for Brownie's chicks.

Last edited:
No. This hen is very good around people and used for field days with kids. She did peck Trueman when he tried to pick a bittie up about an hour before the picture taken. Trueman has so far taken a licking from two hens, first was black hen pictured above and second was game hen in cockyard. Trueman is starting to learn proper etiquette around chickens so conflicts are reducing greatly.

Ralph has been engaged in multiple battles with Elmo (harem master to American Dominiques). Elmo has a size advantage plus well developed intact spurs which is making such encounters tough on Ralph. Ralph's black hen has come back into lay and Ralph has gone into daddy bird mode when his hen goes to nest. The front porch flock is being forced to shift to east and roost now represents the western extreme of their range. Black hen still drives the Dominique hens away from areas her chicks are feeding in. What is really interesting is she does not allow Elmo to mate with her. She is still loyal to Ralph and he does a good job with her first brood that has eight juveniles remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom