constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but it usually things like Cat in the Hat, Curious George, and Martha Speaks. He also watches the News Hour and some Nova but I don't think he has been exposed to using buckets as a tool to catch a chicken.

What about your back porch ?? Bulid them something right outside the back while having a weighing station. Ive seen pep use milk cartons for nest. They love it, and u can stack them. Would have to surcure them together but would work. Idk just tring to help. Honestly idk about having anything on my front porch where every one can see. My girls are all in the back in my fenced yard along with their coop. They love it.

What about your back porch ?? Bulid them something right outside the back while having a weighing station. Ive seen pep use milk cartons for nest. They love it, and u can stack them. Would have to surcure them together but would work. Idk just tring to help. Honestly idk about having anything on my front porch where every one can see. My girls are all in the back in my fenced yard along with their coop. They love it.

Front porch is cooler and provided better protection from aerial predators before dogs came into service. It is also closer to master bedroom enabling faster response when I had to deal with predators myself.

DRUNK CHICKENS

Yesterday evening a busted a rotten water melon that had gone to wine. A flock of juvenile games went nuts consuming it with all birds topping of their crops. About five minutes later they came chasing after me as I carried feed bucket back to pens. They run up on me with some running into my legs. A few fluttered over straw bales in a sloppy sort of way and stumbled with one falling and rolling about after hitting ground on other side. They appear to have consumed enough to get drunk. Sobriety appeared to return within at most 30 minutes. I have seen drunk songbirds before but this was first involving chickens. They do not normally chase nor fly over straw bales like they did following consumption of that water melon.

BROWNIE KICKS LUCY'S BUTT

My wife came home just after I did and dogs bolted over to great her. Lucy ran right through Brownie's brood bowling Brownie over in process. Lucy went to wife still sitting in car to give the hyperactive sniff and lick she does every day. Meanwhile Brownie gave chase running a good 50 feet after Lucy then proceeded to flog Lucy and chasing Lucy away from car out into yard. Brownie was ticked but did go back to brood! My wife was barely able register what happened because it was so close and such a surprise.

POSSIBLE EARLY STAGES OF MAREK'S

Brownie flogged both dogs hard, one (Scoob) for not apparent reason other than she was still ticked from not getting enough licks in on Lucy. After those attacks Brownie stumbled a bit in a manner that makes worry it is Marek's. Every single case has come from birds with ranges centered on yard that also includes fence row where migratory birds (warblers) linger during day as they migrate south. Over years I have seem many of the migrants behave in a similar manner near death and chickens eat such small birds when they can.

OMG Drunk Chicknes... You made my day. That is just too funny. My Girls are crazy to begin with with. I couldn't imagine them being drunk. It super funny to watch one of the younger girls chase the Dove's and Squirrel's. She runs all speedy twoard them with her head out front like a bullet then gets close and jump up with her wings out and dose this kinda flip thing. I die laughing. Have you come up with a solution to your problem yet ??

I am not having problems related to front porch flock at this time since initial of hiding nest no longer needed because of dogs. Thread is more intended to relate continued observations that can be mined by me and others later for useful information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom