constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUN AGAIN IN PASTURE WITH COOPERS HAWK

A coopers hawks buzzed pen area in pasture apparently after songbirds that used pens very effectively as cover. Several hens with chicks all moved to pens and called chicks up under their skirts. Such a response appears very effective against Coopers Hawks since not a single chick has been lost to a hawk this year which is pretty good with about 120 fielded so far. Penned birds not having chicks seemed quite willing to go after hawk which likely helped hens with chicks in their predicament.

JUVENILES EATING MUD WHILE GIVING TID-BIT CALL

While I was packing littlest kid about I noticed Brownie and her juveniles were in closely mowed grass and chicks were all standing together eating something in a very small area. A couple minutes later they moved to another location and repeated behavior. I thought they might be going after June Beetle larvae owing to location but they were clearly ingesting something and it was not grub. I bent down to gently push birds away to see nothing but exposed soil with bite marks indicating where material had been removed. I allowed juveniles to return as they pushed past my hand to resume feeding. I looked even closer expecting to see something small like ants, termites or even cranefly larvae. It was the soil. I am pretty sure they were using soil to select areas to feed on and tid-bit call to say here is the good stuff. I wonder what was different about those patches and what made them interest in consuming soil even if it was not the primary target? They where eating enough to cause notable distension of their crops.

ALSO BROWNIE STILL CLUCKING EVEN WITH OFFSPRING NOW NEALRY IN COMPLETE JUVENILE PLUMAGE

Last edited:

While I was packing littlest kid about I noticed Brownie and her juveniles were in closely mowed grass and chicks were all standing together eating something in a very small area. A couple minutes later they moved to another location and repeated behavior. I thought they might be going after June Beetle larvae owing to location but they were clearly ingesting something and it was not grub. I bent down to gently push birds away to see nothing but exposed soil with bite marks indicating where material had been removed. I allowed juveniles to return as they pushed past my hand to resume feeding. I looked even closer expecting to see something small like ants, termites or even cranefly larvae. It was the soil. I am pretty sure they were using soil to select areas to feed on and tid-bit call to say here is the good stuff. I wonder what was different about those patches and what made them interest in consuming soil even if it was not the primary target? They where eating enough to cause notable distension of their crops.

ALSO BROWNIE STILL CLUCKING EVEN WITH OFFSPRING NOW NEALRY IN COMPLETE JUVENILE PLUMAGE

Just a thought, maybe needing grit?

And what is up with Browine?
Scott

Last edited:
Grit was one of the first thoughts I had too but none was evident. They also can acquire grit from driveway and road not to mention the grit bucket stored near their roost.

Brownie is late in the season too late to rear brood four so she is investing more in last brood because why not. She does provide protection from hawks and directs them to cover and best foraging areas.

I know horses either domestic or wild will go to areas and eat dirt. especially in areas wehre the mineral content is high in one thing or another.... either with salt or clays.... They will also eat their own manure because its like inoculating their gut flora and fauna. There are also lots of things on a microbial level that are nutritious.... You might mark those spots with a marker of some sort and see if mushrooms pop up there.... Take a soil sampel and look at it under a microscope.... might find something interesting.... worm larva? Snail Larva? dont know how big those are.

Very interesting stuff....

deb

A dissecting scope or even a nice hand lens should enable seeing anything birds can see.

but probably not see what chickens could taste.... I know things like Mushrooms are one huge organism that runs under ground for yards and sprouts mushrooms around its rim when ready to reproduce. Not saying that's what that is but they do have nutritional value.

so I wonder how much taste and smell influence feed choices for chickens. We all know sight is a big one....

We all know fish use scent and electric frequencies to sense food....

deb

Last edited:
They have a pretty good since of taste but their preferences vary greatly from mine. They will eat millipedes which make a skunk look good but make funny noises and back away from green beetles and most insects with red on them. They can smell at least a little but I don't think they use it like we do, rather they seem to smell things up close and it may be mostly in support of taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom