constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
CLUCKING RESUMED. A WEEK WILL BE ALLOWED TO PASS WITHOUT HEARING HER CLUCK BEFORE SAYING WEANING HAS OCCURED

A couple of hens in cockyard that were not so late did appear to be clucking with offspring of this age but I normally just bust this up so hens can be put through molt under more controlled conditions.
I'm following with interest.

Scott

Clucking today was from morning until about an hour so before dark with latter time about when I get home from work to make observations. She was clucking at 0800 (8:00 AM) and 1400 (2:00 AM) but not about 1630 (4:30 PM). This problem is attributable to systematic sampling error.

Clucking today was from morning until about an hour so before dark with latter time about when I get home from work to make observations. She was clucking at 0800 (8:00 AM) and 1400 (2:00 AM) but not about 1630 (4:30 PM). This problem is attributable to systematic sampling error.
My phone and 'puter are set to 24 hr clocks
frow.gif
I think that maybe your sampling trainee is a bit too young to keep good notes?

Scott

Trueman does not collect data yet but he does attempt to enter it. I am currently missing the zero on the number pad of this machine and the "J" on the old one because of his efforts. We have also had the police come out twice because somehow he calls 911.

HEAVY WINDS CAUSE CHANGE IN RANGING BEHAVIOR

Today we had very strong sustained wind with gust approaching 50 mph. All free-range birds, front porch flock included, moved into heavy vegetation. In such locations the wind is minimal. The tradeoff is very limited availability of eats. Birds clearly were still foraging as they moved about a lot more than when simply loafing. Now that wind has laid the birds have come out to resume normal foraging.

PROBABLE MAREK'S DISEASE STRIKES ONE OF BROWNIES MALE OFFSPRING

Just a little bit ago a cockerel fell from roost and dogs went out to check on it, It walks like right leg is broken. Brownie attacked him when I put back up, His voice different also. Crop is full.

If like previous cases he will not be able to walk by morning. As with all previous bouts it happens this time of year and as with most others it occurs within a small flock of free-ranging birds that loaf extensively in area frequented by migratory birds. I have a lot more birds free-range and otherwise in a different area that have not been effected anywhere nearly as frequently. This must be coming from some environmental reservoir. Also like previous cases a cold snap seems to occur immediately prior to onset.

Last edited:
PROBABLE MAREK'S DISEASE STRIKES ONE OF BROWNIES MALE OFFSPRING

Just a little bit ago a cockerel fell from roost and dogs went out to check on it, It walks like right leg is broken. Brownie attacked him when I put back up, His voice different also. Crop is full.

If like previous cases he will not be able to walk by morning. As with all previous bouts it happens this time of year and as with most others it occurs within a small flock of free-ranging birds that loaf extensively in area frequented by migratory birds. I have a lot more birds free-range and otherwise in a different area that have not been effected anywhere nearly as frequently. This must be coming from some environmental reservoir. Also like previous cases a cold snap seems to occur immediately prior to onset.
Oh Crap! Not again!!

Scott

Last edited:
FINALLY CLUCKING HAS STOPPED

A couple of the cockerels way as much as their mother at the time of weaning. Group still stays together.

Front porch flock has also greatly increase ranging habits now walking almost to paved road about 1/8 mile to N of house. They now have a home range that overlaps with the neighbors flock that is led by a Shamo x Jersey Giant cockerel and his little harem of Barred Rock X pullets. One of these days if it has not happened already, Ralph will likely have to scrap it out with the much larger cockerel although he might actually get a little help from Brownie as she and her brood will almost certainly put it to the pullets. If possible, that event needs to be filmed as the harems do actually have a pecking order that is not entirely determined by the leaders.

Oh Crap! Not again!!

Scott
LOOKS LIKE A SHALLOW BOUT WITH MAREKS

Cockerel impacted above is exhibiting less difficulty than typical and has already rejoined flock. Based on similar situations he will be back up and running in a couple of weeks although he we still be at risk of abruptly kicking the bucket. None to date has lived a year after showing signs, no matter how mild during fall. His are still the mildest to date.

WILL TEST TO SEE IF MICRO-HABITATS USED BY FRONT PORCH FLOCK IS WARMER THAN AREAS NOT USED

I have a thermometer normally used to remotely monitor incubator temperatures. Tomorrow, for fun, I will place probe and reader in a variety of locations to see if their is a pattern in temperatures. I am predicting the temperatures where the birds hang out are warmer than average. This coupled with protection from wind would reduce need for metabolic heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom