constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken Bowling.....
lau.gif
gig.gif
Once he gets proficient at marking his territory that will be somewhat of a deterrent as well. I need to get a dog for that duty as well.

Yeah we get hot hot days during the summer but they are very dry and that takes a few points off the heat index. Same for the cold. We get snow but only for a grand total of about one week for the whole winter. At 11 +- inches annual precipitation up here its spread out surprisingly pretty evenly through the year.

caption edited because I was describing a different picture.... Duh...
72852_boulevardbackdoor1.jpg

My house sits on a small plateau that has a canyon of these rocks behind the house. I have heard mountain lion scream in that canyon.

I have three trees you can walk under safely without getting three inch thorns threatening to puncture your scalp.... LOL. All live quite well with the water they can extract from deep underground. All planted by the original owner.

Last edited:
We got 23" of snow in a single event. Chickens (games) had to fly point to point, sometimes 125', to avoid walking through snow. Got some cool videos of that in another thread. I had to elevate feeding stations on bails of straw to ensure they would not be buried.

Dogs can be magic but a single dog may not be effective against mountain lion as cat may target dog. If mountain lion is problem for dog, then multiple dogs required. Breed most suitable for your area likely different than most.

Your trees, despite being thorny might be good roosting sites for chickens.

Sallie and bitties now consistently reach a 2 foot location for sleeping quarters at night. Soon will be transitioning to proper roosting. They can now fly a good 20 feet horizontally from ground. They now do it when I call with feed.

41527_sallie_brooding_chicks_at_night_2011_april_28.jpg

Lost another bittie today. Count down to 11 again. I seem unable to count past eleven so back to school time. Bird lost moving about with droopy wings this morning. Examination of carcass indicates bird in good weight with some food in crop. A couple surviving chicks seem not so thrifty. Cool rainy weather likely contributing factor with such a large brood. Sallie has trouble covering whole brood. A couple chicks having difficulty flying up to roost. Tonight will be last night I intervene.

Over last 18 hours lost 3 more chicks. One dead in nest with balance euthanized about 1 hour after daily foraging began. One more appears not to be thrifty so another mort likely by end of day. Chicks all in good weight, death is rapid with first sign where chicks unable to fly up to roost site. Out-crossed chicks of other broods not affected. My guess is chicks dealing with novel parasite likely with intermediate host such as earthworm or snails. Such prey very abundant this year. Affected chicks repressent F1 generation from another locality (Indiana). Brood size now falling back to that typical of what survives back home in Indiana.

Quote:
Possibly impart, a co-worker is a vet. She would at least be able to detect parasite load. As for a genetic influence in respect to decline in vigor and death, that would require more resources. What will likely happen is losses will be realized without use of medication and subsequent generations will suffer less as weaker alleles selected out and more stronger alleles introduced with new blood from games in area.

This would require fecal sampling of healthy chicks, but it might offer support for your genetics theory if parasite load is similar in healthy chicks as in deceased chicks.

It appears outbreak largely run its course. Another infected is declining fast and will likely pass before dark. Even as I watch the bittie can no longer keep pace with group and Sallie makes no effort to retrieve it. Sick bittie did just reunite with group and I can hear it coughing. I hope it does not infect any siblings. Tonight hen and remaining bitties will be allowed to stay in garage to reduce stress. I must say I have never noted so many health issues with free range birds. A different location yes but some issues may be related to fact so many migratory birds use part of property as stop over. Last summer near adult birds where sick virtually entire time migratory birds were comming through.

Next challenge will be Coopers Hawk. He is aware of brood's location but so far has gone after grackles, starlings and redwinged blackbirds. Those pickens soon not to be so easy when tree canopies close, at least until chicks start fledging. That is when it may again try to push past adults defenses. To tighten up defenses, extra hens will be removed so rooster will invest more effort in chicks. Rooster thwarted Coopers last time. It surprising how regular the hawk flies over.

As I sit here typing, Sallie came over with bitties and one of little buggers jumped up on the keyboard. Luckily no droppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom