constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of a research project, I am following this free-ranging for a 24-hour observation period with recordings made at 10-minute intervals. We are interested in what types of micro-habitat and activities go together. Also interested in portion of day a given bird is in a given habitat for what portion of the day. This detailed monitoring enabling observation of some cool behaviors.

Today at 0810 (8:10 AM), I found flock standing on small brush pile in pasture of tall fescue. Dominique hen gave barely audible whir-cackle and launched to fly about 25 feet to land right next to me on gravel roadway. She then began running to house. Balance of flock, including Spud, launched and flew to front yard roughly 200 feet away where they reunited with dom hen. Even Spud made entire flight but was a bit slower and flew with less altitude. She appears not to be too heavy in the ass for competent flight.

Evidence extremely strong that neighbors feeding chickens from their back porch. Eduardo and Sallie were pecking their sliding door. I may try to give them some birds so their birds will keep mine off their property.

Quote:
How much experience with poultry do you have? I have only 40 years.

hehe your funny
yuckyuck.gif

Those that now everything usually now nothing

Following pie chart shows first results we generated of a free ranging flock's activities during the course of a day. I followed birds around for 24 hours strait recording what they were doing at 10 minute intervals. Saw some very cool stuff.

41527_diel_activity_pie_chart.jpg

Was not what I expected. Chickens seem very lazy or energy conservation minded.

I thought that was just MY chickens!
lol.png

I would have thought that free ranging birds would spend more time foraging. Maybe since it is spring the foraging is easy?

Quote:
Some foraging time taken up by feeding. Feeding is code for getting what I put out them which reduces time invested in foraging. Foraging here with low number of birds very easy. Food chain will tighten up a bit by mid summer as number of birds increases.

Sallie has started incubation of brood 2 at about 1230 in same location as before. She has laid an egg every day with intervals averaging just under 24 hours. Eggs were labelled with permanent marker on day they were laid starting with letter A. Egg layed today is Q and R should be last to be laid tomorrow. Yesterday while inspecting eggs I accidently cracked egg L so final count will likely be 17 eggs if R produced. Estimated hatch date should be in range of June 22-23. Hatch hopefully will be better this time.

A red jungle hen committed to brooding her clutch next to Sallie's roughly a week ago. Pictures will follow showing how similar in coloration they are but Sallie is almost twice as large.

Spud hung out with Eduardo once Sallie went to nest but Spud at least twice went to nest and hopped in with Sallie causing latter to protest. Spud seems to be aware of Sallie even when she is out of sight. Spud is sleeping with Sallie now on nest.

I removed other non-brooding hens from flock with hopes of increasing Eduardo's investment in Spud and brooding hens. Scratch grains will not be available to bitties this go around.

Fairly major change in Eduardo's behavior now that only two remaining adult hens are brooding clutches of eggs. He stays wthin confines of yard within 150 feet of nesting hens at all times. He has not approached nest sites to my knowledge. He spends a lot more time than usual getting up on elevated locations, including roost and belting out large numbers of crows proceeded by the wing flapping. Eduardo seems more inclinded to engage in dualing bouts of crowing with doms and California greys penned up across pasture that Eduardo no longer crosses.

Spud stays within same radius and periodically checks on brooding mother but avoids associating with free-ranging adolescents that are only slightly older than she is. Apparently sub-flocks are going to hold up on the same patch of ground this go around. As I wrap up typing this, Spud jumped on me apparently for company as the only altenatives which seem not to be preferred are Eduardo and dog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom