constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eduardo is being a butthead. He appears to be in process of shifting his roost from one I constructed to a white oak tree that is closer to where breeding pens are located. He could easily fly from roost to breeding pens which would very likely result in him fighting with other games through coop wire (not good). In future when teathering resorting to for games, something will have to be done to prevent him from getting with those or a cockhouse will have to be constructed sooner than planned. I may be able to get him back into constructed roost by giving him another lady friend that is not broody. Spud still roosting with Sallie.

Dog is treeing snapping turtles so well I might have to hire him out. Three today alone, largest about 10 pounds. Luckily he has figured out which end to grab them by. Scoob also trying to drive off deer but does with fawns keep chasing him back. I may have to tip balance on that. If they do not visit during hunting season, then they can not eat my fruit trees.

With brood 2, Sallie comes off incubation duty to feed in morning about 1 hour after dawn. With brood 1 she came off during middle of day. I guess with this brood it is to avoid heat and with first brood to keep eggs from getting as cold. Spud still spends bulk of day near Sallie while latter on nest. When Sallie does come off nest and runs frantically about between foraging, feeding and water stations; Spud follows. I may have heard Spud make tidbit call and Sallie promptly altered course to investigate. If correct, then reversal in respect to whom is facilitating foraging of whom. Spud just now reaching 1/3 adult weight.

The running about of hen coming off nest is very similar to rooster running about all fluffed up at dawn. Feather posture and sustained rapid movement very similar. It is the running about during these time that I think is primary reason for chickens having dark meat in legs and thighs, otherwise all meat would be white since chickens otherwise no inclined for sustained excertion.

Red jungle fowl hen has not left nest for more than 36 hours. Two eggs pipped. I doubt she will live nest for another day or two even to eat, drink or deficate.

Spud still staying with Sallie. I am very interesting seeing if Spud aids with brood care. She does not appear to be deficating in nest.

As of yesterday red jungle fowl hen (RJF) came off nest with nine chicks (100% hatch). Bittie sired by Eduardo so 1/2 game. As of this morning she still has not gone more than 3 feet from nest. She has proven to be exceptionally tame and produces some interesting vocalizations I have not heard before. RJF may look like and be size of an Old English Bantam but her behaviors and physical abilities are way outside of what a bantam does. In comparison, bantams are like little robots with most sub-routines missing.

Spud still roosts with mother and does not hesitate to hop and fly over to me to as I type. Spud goes to closest feeding station (about 150' away) twice daily but does not integrate with sub-flocks that are 2 weeks ahead or 2 weeks behind in respect to age. She does interact with Eduardo. Spud is only chick he does not chase on occassion.

Scoob's (dog) activity seems to be what keeps eldest free ranging sub-flock of front porch.

Sallie should come off nest with her brood with her brood next Thursday. What will Spuds role be in that? She and Sallie are getting along very nicely together. STILL NOT NATURAL!

Red jungle fowl hen moving about yard with chicks. She seems to spend more time than games away from cover. She very seldom ventures into tall fescue and forbs used by game hens. Foraging behavior different between red jungle fowl and game hens with bitties. Red jungle fowl seems more intent on catching prey items for chicks and it is much more animated while foraging. Game hens seem more inclined to observe environment and to scratch more. Game chicks also more spread out while foraging.

Picture below of red jungle fowl hen with nine chicks. Just prior to photograph scoob chased off two feral cats, one of which appeared to be stalking bitties of red jungle hen. Scoob was watching airplane as we are close to Jefferson City Airport. Scoob likes birds but totally ignores baby killdeer and adults trying to lure him away. Redwing blackbirds seem more interesting.

41527_scoob_red_jungle_fowl_bitties_2011_june_19.jpg

Sallie is off nest with eleven chicks. She hatched of twelve but Spuds activities resulted in loss of one. Alloparenting not to happen this go around.

Foraging behavior differs markedly between Sallie and red jungle fowl. Latter is much more animated in pursuit of individual prey items that are transferred to chicks. The 1/2 jungle fowl chicks also much more oriented on mothers beak and quick to take what she has. Sallie is more inclined to scratch up forage. Sallie is still dominant, being 50% larger does not hurt. Broods can mix freely and still follow correct hen. Images below of hens brooding chicks in morning sun after first bout of feeding.

Sallie
41527_dsc00435.jpg

Red jungle fowl hen.
41527_dsc00436.jpg

Red jungle fowl still has 9 chicks, one is a runt but otherwise healthy. Red jungle fowl hen moved with chicks to an elevated roost by 16 days post-hatch. They are still roosting on a flat surface. A couple chicks were so overloaded with food in crop that it made getting to roost difficult.
41527_red_jungle_hen_with_chicks_on_elevated_roost.jpg

Sallie is down to 7 chicks from an initial number of 12. Two were lost owing to complications associated with Spud (older half sister) and other three lost to heavy cocci infections. Losses to cocci would have been much greater if I did not intervene. Despite Sallies chicks being nearly a week behind in age, they are nearly as large as their half-sibling half-jungle fowl kin.

Both hens have no problem recognizing each others chicks and Sallie readily flogs those of the red jungle fowl when they venture too close.

Last edited:
7&8 :

Enjoying this informative thread - thank you! Lovely birds, too.

Thanks.

Eduardo now into eclipse molt, his crowing is greatly reduced and ranging is much less. He used to go 900 feet to north while foraging, now he stays within 100 yards of brooding hens at all times. Catches a lot of insects for chicks. Description of process and frog eating in following link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=537372

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom