constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of images showing activities of front porch flock. Note in multiple images of adults where wings held partially extended to dump heat.

Eduardo, Sallie, red jungle fowl hen and bitties.
41527_eduardos_harem_with_bitties_2011_july_18b.jpg

Eduardo, Sallie, red jungle fowl hen and bitties.
41527_eduardos_harem_with_bitties_2011_july_18.jpg

Scoob (poultry guard dog) on mission.
41527_eduardos_harem_inlc_sallie_and_bitties_2011_april_24_and_scoob.jpg

Eduardo doting over his bitties. If he tid bit calls, then they jump up to his face for food. Notice dark spots on Eduardo's hackles. He is undergoing a partial eclipse molt. If complete, then neck would appear much thinner and nearly black.
41527_eduardo_with_bitties_2011_july_18.jpg

Last edited:
Eduardo now in process of driving out juveniles from his territory. Juvenile males have been crowing for some time and are now sounding like adults. Juvenile females are nearly point of lay (POL). He expends most effort on cockerols but also chases pullets. Chases can exceed length of football feild. A particular juvenile male being driven was sired by a California grey. As I typed this, Eduardo chased the cockerol to exhaustion where it then hid under chest freezer. If this proceedes as in past, then cockerols will move about as a bachleor group at perimeter of Eduardos territory and pullets will move to be around caged roosters outside of Eduardo's territory. Juveniles and Eduardo have roosted in separate locations since Eduardo moved back to front porch three nights ago. Eduardo now roosting next to Sallie and her brood. When Sallie's brood goes up to roost, they waste no time and do so quitely. During day Eduardo now spends bulk of time with two hens tending chicks.

Next year I will attempt to have three territories setup with roosts about 400 feet apart. If all works properly, then the roosters will end up swapping daughters as they reach POL. Eduardo's sons will be used for that as Eduardo will have to be confined. He is too valuable as a display bird to risk loss.

Yesterday I heard red jungle fowl hen make "egg song". Nest boxes will be put out again to determine when egg laying resumes. She still clucks to chicks which is different than last round with Sallie where clucking stopped before egg song resumed. Why do people say egg song, as far as being pleasing to the ear it is rather annoying. It is also likely "juvenile" females at POL will attempt to parasitize nest of adult hens.

Why do people say egg song, as far as being pleasing to the ear it is rather annoying.

Totally agree with you on the annoying part. I think it is either tongue in cheek/sarcastic to say "song", or the song part refers to the happy people thinking about collecting their eggs. It's one of those things that started so long ago, we may never know.​

Quote:
Totally agree with you on the annoying part. I think it is either tongue in cheek/sarcastic to say "song", or the song part refers to the happy people thinking about collecting their eggs. It's one of those things that started so long ago, we may never know.

Maybe it like the saying "music to my ears". My grandmother used to produce hatching eggs for a commercial hatchery. She seemed more up beat and to expect more eggs produced when lots of hens gave the "egg song" which meant more money in pocket.

Hey centrarchid, I just love the pics of Eduardo, Sally and their bitties free ranging! It's been fun following their lives, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Thanks,

Next year I hope to make situation more complex and natural. The birds can operate in stable and essentially natural social groupings if resources (water, food roosts, and cover) dispersed like a natural habitat provides. Next round will operate with games only as focus since enhanced foraging and size needed as birds pushed away from immediate vicinity of house. There is some really cool stuff these birds are capable of that are seldom realized when they are confined in unnatural groupings we typically enforce.

I am thinking something like Meerkat Manor.

Sallie was chasing down a relatively large grasshopper that could fly about 30'. Grasshopper made a series of flights in a straight line going right into flock of juveniles / subadults. Just as Sallie was about to capture here prey, a subadult dominique x California grey came running at her and knocked Sallie over. He appeared interested in getting frisky. Sallie spun around and prepared to do battle raising hackles and preparing to flog. Eduardo saw ruckus and promptly attacked the subadult male flogging him soundly sending the young male running. Eduardo has not been attacking dominque x himself yet as they are slower to mature. It will not be long before that starts.

As of this morning Sallie has 6 chicks (initially 12) and red jungle hen has 9 chicks (initially 9). Most losses due to cocci infections and I think balance of chicks will not be affected anymore.

Red jungle fowl's chicks putting on size fast now and down on head being replaced by contour feathers. Red jungle hen has greatly reduced her clucking and is well into her molt now having lost all her flight tail feathers. She has been spending a lot of time near constructed day roost at N border of yard where front porch flock spent much their days during winter. I am guessing that will be their day roost when she stops tending this brood.

Last edited:
Night shot of Eduardo, harem (Sallie and red jungle hen) and their bitties.
41527_eduardos_harem_with_bitties_2011_july_21.jpg

Closer shot showing how some bitties are arranged. It is likely before night is over as temperature drop that a bittie or two will be under Eduardo as well.
41527_eduardo_sallie_and_bitties_2011_july_21.jpg

Last edited:
stomping feet...... I wanna night camera......
lau.gif
Soo cute..... My little ones are eight weeks and three weeks respectively.... Guineas all and .... I wannna night camera.....

I love your posts.....
clap.gif
centrarchid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom