constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. Most of the postings in the predator section are not solution focused, but rant focused.

They get more attention because people seem fascinated with gore, etc. You are too logical for them.

Also, people who read your posts with interest may not always be the chatty types. (Guilty Here.)

Quote:
x2 on the rant focused.

Though I am chatty.... and sometimes take off on a tangent (sorry) I do have a logical side. My dad used to say "Quit talking about it and do something." Removing a predator would be last on my list. Because as someone logical said.... another predator will move in and take its place. Unless its a domestic animal. (problems with a pack of dogs a while back) even then I dealt with it logically. And it worked. The next step would have been animal control...

perchie.girl please do not misunderstand me about being logical. I did not mean that if you are chatty you are not logical.

I meant simply that the people who wish to rant do not wish to be logical and that some of us interested in centrarchid's posts are just not chatty.

If everyone was as non-chatty as I there wouldn't be much to read.
big_smile.png

OK, good. Don't wish to offend anyone.

The low level of chattiness keeps my interest as well. Otherwise it like you are talking to yourself.

True. Will try and keep that in mind.​

Really interesting read. Took me most of last evening and this morning to catch up on it all. Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. I love the looks of your birds they are beautiful.

GAME HEN (SALLIE) CAN DISTINGUISH HER JUVENILE OFFSPRING FROM THEIR SIMILAR SIZED HALF-SIBLINGS BY SAME FATHER

I was watching Sallie interact closely with her juvenile offspring and those of the red jungle hen. All belong to front porch flock and juveniles spend comparable time with each other regardless of mother they are out of. When the juveniles get in close to Sallie for dust bathing and cleaning up feed deposits left from this morning, Sallie occasionally pecks juveniles. She pecks them all a little but the red jungle hen's pecks much harder and sometimes drives them away. The red jungle hen pecks all the juveniles with equal ferocity. She is in many ways a beeaaaatch. She and Sallie are both attempting to renest yet again. Will be fourth effort for Sallie and possibly fifth for red jungle hen. They are laying despite being in molt. Caged birds can not match such output while in molt.

RED JUNGLE X AMERICAN GAME COCKEROLS DRIFTING AWAY FROM FLOCK AT TIMES AND FIGHTING A LOT AMOUNG THEMSELVES

Both surviving hybrid stags, despite now being smaller, woop on their pure game half-brothers. The hybrids have been crowing for at least a week despite having first feather secondaries in wings. Crows are pretty good. They even woop on each other under Eduardos nose but he seems to take no real notice despite their sometimes really pounding each other hard.

RED JUNGLE X AMERICAN GAME PULLETS DEVELOPING SPURS

Despite neither red jungle fowl or pure game hen having spurs, all four surviving hybrid pullets are developing spurs.

Challenge for front porch flock occurs when feed is spread in their turf. They can not drive out the cohorts of dominiques, dominique crosses, and a few games. Close to 50 trespassers present.

41527_cohorts_invade_front_porch_flock_turf.jpg

Eduardo and some his juveniles standing tight.
41527_cohorts_invade_front_porch_flock_turf_eduardo_and_his_juvs.jpg

Best. Thread. Ever.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

eta: Aaand it would appear I've killed the thread but dead. Whoops!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom