constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
SPEACH AFFECTED BY MAREKS

Speach has been suffering from Mareks for nearly a month. He has difficulty walking but it has improved somewhat. He is unable to fly at all now which very sad considering he could easily fly the length of two football fields before getting down.

TRUEMAN ADVANCING

Young son is growing fast and already stairs at fish in aquariums. He starting to track front porch flock, possibly thinking about how to grab their tails.

Scoob and Trueman interact frequently but Trueman still does not do much.

When powering down, he and Scoob sit on couch near open door where they can hear chickens. When chickens get stirred up Scoob bolts outside, and goes to birds making racket, then walks down all pens (Trueman does not yet follow but he will I am sure). He also walks down pens every couple hours. Has taken nine months to get him to do that. He does same after dark multiple times. He also goes to great effort to get me come outside when a oppossum is treed. He whines and walks away towards catch, if I do not follow he repeats.

SPEACH AFFECTED BY MAREKS

Speach has been suffering from Mareks for nearly a month. He has difficulty walking but it has improved somewhat. He is unable to fly at all now which very sad considering he could easily fly the length of two football fields before getting down.

TRUEMAN ADVANCING

Young son is growing fast and already stairs at fish in aquariums. He starting to track front porch flock, possibly thinking about how to grab their tails.

Scoob and Trueman interact frequently but Trueman still does not do much.

When powering down, he and Scoob sit on couch near open door where they can hear chickens. When chickens get stirred up Scoob bolts outside, and goes to birds making racket, then walks down all pens (Trueman does not yet follow but he will I am sure). He also walks down pens every couple hours. Has taken nine months to get him to do that. He does same after dark multiple times. He also goes to great effort to get me come outside when a oppossum is treed. He whines and walks away towards catch, if I do not follow he repeats.

Sorry to hear that Speach is still not back to his old self. It looks like your protectors of the flock are coming along just fine, <BG> just thinking of you wondering just where are those two now?
gig.gif
lau.gif

Scott

Spud, pullet produced from Sallies first cohort, produced her first egg today. She is in breeding pen with her male cousin that is a reciprocal cross by different parents. Offspring will be used as part of my Missouri dominique project.

Odds very high Spud hatched last year from only white egg in nest. Brown eggs from dominiques that were removed shortly after.

Spud shortly after hatch. She is only black chick.

At about 1 week post hatch.

Rushing back with mom and siblings when called.

Feeding up on feed placed on front porch.

Walking down road that pure games and red jungle fowl fly back down each day. Spud could fly only half of distance and then walked rest of way through heavy cover. Pure dom could fly only about 30 feet and could not keep up with Spud through heavy cover.

Hanging with Uncle Eduardo as mom scouts out nest site.

Showing of good nature.

Hanging with mom as mom set second clutch.

How she looks now.

Last edited:
perchie.girl :

LOL.... I can picure Goggles and Preflight check lists....
lau.gif

That whole flying thing has me interested in Sumatras. Plus the fact that the breed is pretty much untouched at least in Sumatra.... They have been known to island hop.

Just had following this drama obervation:

"Just now an adult male Coopers hawk made run a bitties in front yard. Rooster engaged him forcing hawk to divert and land on fence post about 100 feet away. Eduardo (rooster) positioned himself very efffectively between brood and hawk. Hawk tried to wait for opening. Sallie (hen) called bitties up under skirt and kept herself oriented towards hawk. Hawk flew off after easier fair. Bitties have about six more weeks of being vulnerable and baby song birds will become abundant before that. I wish my doms would put up same protective net around their broods. They just make racket or run."

I have seen videos of Sumatras in flight. It is very different than my birds exhibit. The Sumatras appear to to have over sized flight surfaces (wings and tail). I wonder if their muscle physiology is more suitable for long distance flight or is it purely a difference in feathering. It might be interesting to get one for comparison. Some of the island hopping might be facilitated by storms. Green jungle fowl are supposedly a natural species capable of extended flight. A few of my birds (pullets have been observed) can produce a 1/4 mile flight when pressed but I think that is far less than required for island hopping.​

where did you see video of sumatra flying i will sure like to see it can you pose it up thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom