Construction of my 8'x8' Coop - In Progress...

Shane,
The coop is coming along nicely! I'm sure your chicks are squawking at you to hurryhurryhurry.
smile.png
It looks as though you've thought of everything. Really sturdy chicken coop.

Carla

I've been working hard on the coop the past few days. I finally feel like I'm getting close. It's a good thing too because my chicks are going crazy!! I have been letting them run around the yard while I've been working. It has been terrible trying to round them up to put them back in their small enclosure.

Here's a few pics: I've got all my big doors done. We had a round of thunderstorms go through, so I took the doors off and put them in the shed. I didn't want them waterlogged before I got some paint on them. I'll take some more pics after I get them painted and installed.

Picture822.jpg

Picture823.jpg

Picture824.jpg

Since I've gone this far with this posting, I figured I might as well finish it out by showing the "finished product." Well..., OK, there's a few things left to do but the chickens are ready to move in.

Now comes the REALLY hard part... getting the chickens to get in there! Any suggestions on that??

Thanks for all the good advice along the way with this. Also the pic that shows the inside, was taken from the outside looking through the pop door.

As you can tell, I've got two large doors on both sides of the coop that will swing out wide for cleaning, access, or whatever I might need. I was going to make a solid piece where the pop door is located but it was going to make it much harder to access when cleaning time comes, so,... hey, what's one more door, LOL. One of the doors will provide very easy cleaning access for the roost area. You can see this from the last pic.

Picture788.jpg

Picture789.jpg

Picture790.jpg

Picture791.jpg

My chicks are 11 weeks old now. I hope they enjoy it. I can't wait till the eggs start rolling in, LOL.

Shane

Last edited:
You've done a fabulous job with that coop! Really, really nicely done... More spoiled chickens!
smile.png
Using two sides to a door will give the door less weight; no sagging, twisting.
And thanks for all the photos!

The best way to teach the girls this coop is their new palace, is to keep them shut in it for several days. You'll have to simply pick them up and put them in, as they won't get the hang of the ladder, yet.

Carla

Thanks Carla and 5peeps.

Wow, there's nothing simple about picking up my chickens. The only one that will let me pick her up is my Buff Orpington. The New Hampshire, RIR, and production Red will almost let me. I get to pet them every once in a while. My CA whites, Black Sex link, white plymouth rocks, and partridge Silkie Bantam don't even let me close.

Having said all that, I got all 10 of them into the coop tonight. Boy, they were not happy about it! They have had free run of my chain linked fenced backyard for the past month. They roost at night in my shed. I waited till they were getting set up on their roost to get them.

A couple of them went kicking and screaming (literally), especially the white plymouth rocks.

Do I really need to leave them in there for a week?

Thanks,

Shane

If you (and the girls) can stand being cooped up for a week, I'd do it. Watch them carefully for crankiness and pecking at each other, though.
The idea is to get them used to roosting in the coop each night; they will learn to put themselves to sleep in it, instead of longing/whining for the shed.

Carla

Back
Top Bottom