Construction question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jettgirl24, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I know this isn't a coop construction question but since it still has to do with chickens and will probably involve power tools I'm hoping those of you with building knowledge can help me out! [​IMG]
    I asked over in the incubation section but haven't gotten a response.

I'm making an incubator out of an old mini fridge and I've taken a look at the other threads here but I can't seem to find directions on how to cut out a viewing window. Does anyone have any ideas for the best way to cut 12" x 12" square out of the door of the fridge so I can keep an eye on the eggs and watch them hatch?

2. cknhobbiest

cknhobbiest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Branch,MI
    a sawzaw and some plexiglass with some construction adhesive and pole barn screws

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I'd probably use a Sawzall instead of a sawzaw.

Because it saws all.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you like power tools, a sawzall (reciprocating saw) or power jigsaw, with fine-toothed metal-cutting blade.

If you prefer hand tools, get one of those handles that accepts a (metal-cutting) hacksaw blade, not an actual hacksaw frame but the kind so you can use it as a keyhole saw type thing.

In either case, drill large holes at the corners, to give you somewhere to initially stick the blade into to start your cuts.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. cknhobbiest

cknhobbiest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Branch,MI
    well I was gona say a oops saw as that is what we normaly use one for when we make a mistake framing and need to kinda move a few studs ( ya know that never happens anyway)

6. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Awesome! Thanks! Lucky me my BF has a sawzall in the shop... I'd ask him for help but I'm sort of being secret squirrel about the incubator cuz I think he's being pushed toward his chicken limit... He's already worried about how I'm going to get rid of the extra chicks I've got in my borrowed incubator right now... I'm pretty sure he won't feel too warm and fuzzy about the prospect of an even bigger one that I don't have to give back! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by