Jesus-Is-Lord

Hatching
Jan 5, 2024
New to the hobby and have just noticed some of my layers in 1 hutch appear to be falling ill with diarrhea and lethargy, with some having a closed eye. I was wondering if the eggs laid by those with symptoms can still be considered safe to consume or if they should just be thrown out? Also if I were to cull those with symptoms in order to stop the spread of this illness would the meat be safe to eat? Thx in advance for any advice!

It's probably too late now, but I wouldn't eat the meat nor eggs of a sick animal especially since you don't know what it has. I suspect perhaps coccidiosis, but without a necropsy from a dead bird, you may not ever know.

I wouldn’t consume a sick animal. Most diseases in poultry can’t affect humans through their meat or eggs, but it could be a mixture of several severe bacterial diseases or parasites causing the diarrhea.

Pretty sure you’re not suppose to do such a thing. Not like it’s the zombie apocalypse 🧟 🧟‍♂️ where food is food and you hope to survive or die by eating something g bad rather than by 🧟‍♀️.

It’s like saying…oh my cow has mad cow disease. Gonna eat it once it dies.

Or…hey road kill. Looks like it’s been in the road for a week. Mmmm, looks tasty.

What you should do…or at least what I would do…separate the sick from the rest. Monitor them, give them electrolytes, feed them. Nurse them in hopes of them getting better. I don’t cull my pets, but that’s just me. But if that’s what you chose to do, don’t eat them. They died due to a cause of being sick. Do you want to get sick?

Back
Top Bottom