Contact Dermatitis with commercial poultry?

threequarter

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 1, 2014
So we've been raising chickens for eggs, and meat, for over a year now. We've taken in birds from various sources, even adopted two male guineas in the process. The home raised chickens have never given my wife a problem, but commercial birds have given her quite a fit.

We have harvested more than a few birds from the flock for eating, and there are no adverse effects.

Any commercially purchased poultry gives my wife the most awful itching and redness in the hands when she handles the raw meat. The cooked meat has zero effect. The sensation is so intense that she can wash her hands in scalding water just to find a touch of relief. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on what the commercial poultry producers are giving those birds to cause this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I agree, sunflour, but I was hoping for a more scientific answer. I understand it is illegal to give commercial poultry hormones, but I'm not putting complete faith in the legal system's function. Hopefully, by this time next year, I will have added not only turkeys to my flock, but goats and perhaps pigs as well. The question at hand has diminished the little hope I had in the commercial farming industry, I'd rather just raise my own meat, alongside my veggies.

Laws have to be inforced and seems that most just ask for a "plan" to be filed.

I think they all still do give hormones….chickens are not that big? And I know they still give antibiotics - used to be erythromycin.

Commercial chickens don't get hormones or steroids, but they do get antibiotics. Sorry, don't know specifically which ones. Does she have known antibiotic allergies?

She can invest in a box of nitrile medical gloves to handle the meat if need be.

Out of curiosity have you tried organic chicken yet, and did she have a reaction? Does she have any antibiotic allergies?

Back
Top Bottom