contagious Respiratory disease? *WARNING: GRAPHIC*

EagleTheHenpecked

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Demotte
This is what my Sebright hen looks like right now, she's still alive at the moment but i'm not sure for how much longer. its heart (and gut) wrenching.

I lost my sebright rooster to something similar about 2 weeks ago, although his eyes didnt muck up like hers. i found her in the nest box today, she's wheezing, sneezing and is mostly blind and very lathargic. my polish rooster that is in with them had nostrils filled with dried mucus i noticed before we lost the rooster. but he is fine as of this moment.
I have seperated her from the rest of the flock for the moment but i dont know how long it will be before this disease strikes again. i need your opinions and advice.

what is killing my bantams and is there any way to save them?

You're dealing with a noncurable respiratory disease which are contageous to other birds. I recommend that you cull sick birds, quarantine your other birds and wait and see if they become sick...cull as needed. Then disinfect everything and wait several months before you get new birds.

You know, I think I'd get some antibiotics in her right away. Get something down at the farm supply and use a dropper (or better yet, get some type of injectible) or put it in food if she'll eat. Don't force liquid. I have some baytril around from when I had my dogs and I use that with careful measure.

I think I'd press gently and see if I could get some more of the pus out. Obviously, you can't do too much because it's around the eye and you don't want it to go into the brain. I'd flush with some saline solution. On the other hand it might be good to just do the rinsing, use antibiotics, and hope for the best.

I would dropper some liquids (on top of the beak). Water with a splash of gatorade.

Last edited:
(@ dawg53) is it possible that their bodies would be able to fight it off at all? my Polish rooster's one eye is bubbly, but he actually looks better than he did. and i'm definately going to quarantine and try antibiotics. i've never been one to allow $60 of poultry swap money to go down the drain. it sickens me to know that people would actually sell their sick animals to unsuspecting customers. i've had these birds for about 2 weeks. lucky i didnt put them in with the rest of my flock right away. could this disease travel to my birds 100 yards away in a different coop???? my brother takes care of the bantams and i take care of the big birds so we wouldnt have carried it over. any tips?

I agree with Dawg53. You CAN try the antibiotic but for the most part, no, this will get worse. Some people really suck to sell sick birds or maybe they honestly did not know.

I would cull them just to put them out of their misery. Bleach or oxine should be your new best friend.

Last edited:
I know this wont be a popular answer but as bad as that looks and knowing, from what you have said, it is most likely contagious I would just mark it up as lesson learned and cull them before it spreads. But thats just me.. I wouldnt want to risk all the flocks.
sad.png
Although Im not a chemical lover I would bleach the coop and dishes they use and leave it for a while before adding more birds, but I do tend to over do when it comes to diseases. Good Luck..

UPDATE: i decided against culling the birds, but i quarantined the ones that looked questionable and seperated the rest. i ended up losing my polish rooster, but the sebright above and all of my other birds that were sick are now better and eating and laying as though nothing has happened. i'm going to disinfect that coop today and then reintroduce the birds that were in that coop with the sick ones i think. none of the ones that didnt look sick when i seperated them actually got sick. is this outbreak going to have any long term effects on my flock now? for example: could this disease kill the fertility of my hens or stick around so when i add any new birds they will be succeptable to it? i'm hoping this nightmare is over, but i need answers before i decide to continue.

Back
Top Bottom