Continuous grit supply?

WeirdOwl

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Hello! I was wondering if I should have a continuous grit supply available for my 12 and a half week old chickens or if it’s something you should give on a schedule?

Thank you!

When do I start oyster shells? 16 weeks? Do they still need that if I give them layer feed?

I would. I also wouldn’t give layer feed.

I use Purina flock raiser Mostly but I will purchase Any major brand that has the latest manufacture date when I go to the store (tractor supply).

The way I figure, more than half the year:
- you have chicks
- you have hens not laying due to daylight hours
- you have hens not laying due to molt (and this can be months and months of the year if you look at all the times any single hen is molting)
- You have a broody
- You might have a roo

I just see no reason to buy layer feed when any given day one of these factors could be impacting the flock and layer feed would negatively impact at least one bird. This is why I don’t even consider any feed but the most recent mill date Flock Raiser (any brand) with a can of oyster shell always present.

I would. I also wouldn’t give layer feed.

I use Purina flock raiser Mostly but I will purchase Any major brand that has the latest manufacture date when I go to the store (tractor supply).

The way I figure, more than half the year:
- you have chicks
- you have hens not laying due to daylight hours
- you have hens not laying due to molt (and this can be months and months of the year if you look at all the times any single hen is molting)
- You have a broody
- You might have a roo

I just see no reason to buy layer feed when any given day one of these factors could be impacting the flock and layer feed would negatively impact at least one bird. This is why I don’t even consider any feed but the most recent mill date Flock Raiser (any brand) with a can of oyster shell always present.

The people who sold them to me gave me some terrible advice. Thank you for clearing all of that up.

The people who sold them to me gave me some terrible advice. Thank you for clearing all of that up.

dont get me wrong. More than half, hell probably 90% of the laying hens owned by people on this message board are fed Layena or another layer feed. Maybe half of those owners monitor for these factors and feed a non layer feed when needed. Half is probably generous there.
Just knowing what I know, it would stress me out to have to keep track of 11 hens and know, for instance, that Cutlet my Dominique might not be laying any more this year and therefore I am damaging her kidneys feeding a calcium fortified feed instead of flock raiser.

Back
Top Bottom