Continuous missing eggs

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
We have a broody hen. Almost every night one of her eggs goes missing. Last night I left an egg sitting off by itself and it wasn’t touched but one of hers is. The first three that went missing were growing and due in a week. The one that went missing last night is a new egg under her. What would go after a warm egg under a chicken and ignore a much easier target? There are also two babies in that same coop that haven’t been touched. Rat? Snake? Wouldn’t both of those go after the live chicks or easier egg first? Thanks much. We have a rat trap but won’t do much good if it’s a snake.

Oh ya, I think it’s too cold here still for a snake.
Would a weasel go and just take an egg? I also think we may be missing some during the day. Yesterday we only had one egg and usually have at least 4 in the coop.
Going to set up a camera tonight and start moving mama and babies to safety at night.

Crap, I hope it’s not her. She’s a new sitter so I’m not sure how great she’ll be. She sits so well so I was hoping for another good mama. I’ll look for shells again but I didn’t see any sign of them in there.

We have a broody hen. Almost every night one of her eggs goes missing. Last night I left an egg sitting off by itself and it wasn’t touched but one of hers is. The first three that went missing were growing and due in a week. The one that went missing last night is a new egg under her. What would go after a warm egg under a chicken and ignore a much easier target? There are also two babies in that same coop that haven’t been touched. Rat? Snake? Wouldn’t both of those go after the live chicks or easier egg first? Thanks much. We have a rat trap but won’t do much good if it’s a snake.
A sneaky (and hungry) neighbor grabbed your eggs.

No neighbors. Found a very dead little dried up chick in there today. Grrr!! I’m not sure what to do at this point. Maybe I’ll have to break her.

Back
Top Bottom