Controling your Flock and Garden help.

randomchick

Songster
10 Years
Sep 3, 2009
Prescott, Ontario
Let me start by saying that I will be having a large garden this year, and attempting a whole whack of new birds along with my 2 dozen older hens. I want to free range, however this may not be realistic.
Does wing clipping actually work?
At what height will chickens fly if I clip their wings?
If I give them an acre fenced in at about 4 feet high, and clip wings, will this keep them in? probably not right?
What to do what to do?
Any ideas, I should let you know that space is not an issue. Neither is fence. There is nothing up now so I have free play room.

Wing clipping does work. To a certain extent and with certain hens. I had one hen last year who could still clear the fence with her wing clipped. It was a five foot fence. My other naughty flyers could not or did not fly out after I clipped their wings. So I felt that the wing clipping was a smashing success.

I should add that the one hen that escaped wouldn't go far because she was alone. She hung out right by the fence to be near the flock. I'd open the gate and she'd run right back inside her pen.

I have a 5 feet fence, my white leghorn and 2 hamburgs had no problem flying over the fence. As a matter of fact, when I was outside doing a head count one day and came up short two hens, something caught my eye,it was my two hamburgs up on the roof of my house!! The lowest part of the roof is 8 feet up. Needless to say I clipped their wings and have had no issues since. My heavier breeds couldnt fly 2 feet off the ground lol,no problems there. Your lighter breeds will easily fly over a 4 feet fence just like mine did to my 5 feet fence.

Quote:
hello.
could you fence of some of your garden? are you talking a veggie garden or pretty flowers etc.
because having flowers and chickens. well mmmmm the chickens might enjoy eating flowers or some plants. i dunno.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom