Controlling bugs in coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 5Chickens, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    I have just a rubbermaid type storage shed outside and I have always noticed how dirty it gets with all the cobwebs and creepy crawlies. Black Widows really love to make their home in it along with other venomous spiders. I am wanting to build a shed type coop but if it collects bugs like my storage shed does, how do you keep away the bugs without harming your chickens? Does a wood shed attract less bugs?

thanks

2. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens so if someone with more experience chimes in great but I have found that my chickens do a lot of the bug control in my coop. I have seen one of my RIRs jump up about four feet and snatch a fly right out of the air and happily eat it. I don't know about venomous spiders as we don't have any in this area. I would love to hear what others think on this subject.

3. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I use Natural Guard Crawling Insect Control. It contains Diatomaceous Earth (85%). You just spread it around your coop (inside and out). It comes in a green and blue bag and it looks like kitchen flour. You can buy it at a hardware store. It kills cockroaches, bedbugs, fleas, slugs, millipedes, and other crawling insects. Even though my chickens are my main form of pest control, Natural Guard works great! Hope this helps! [​IMG]

-Shannon [​IMG]

4. melissahj

melissahj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I also use food grade diatomaceous earth .

Not only do I spread it around the coop to control flies and other pests but I also spread the diatomaceous earth where my chickens dust themselves because the DE will kill parasites like fleas, ticks and mites as well. I also put it in their feed for internal parasites.

I use Red Lake Earth .

5. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I also put it in their dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by