Conure behavior?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I have a nest box for my budgies. The budgies are too young to breed, so the box is put up for later.

My conure found the box. I was surprised he could fit, but he seems quite happy to play in it. He has gone in and out of it a few times. He seems to be playing?

The obvious concern- I don't want my bird to associate the nest box as a place to play, especially if my budgies breed in the future.
(I might not breed the budgies.)
My conure is young (around 4 months).
Is he (or she) really playing, or is it a nesting behavior?

I am new to owning a conure.
What behaviors should I expect?
He is a silly bird that loves foot toys and things that spin. He eats a good variety of food. Apples are his favorite. I am starting to work with him on 'step up'. He has gotten as far as stepping onto my hand willingly but he steps off just as fast.

He likes to play peekaboo, but he does it at random times.

Any behavior information or stories is welcome!

I have a nest box for my. The budgies are too young to breed, so the box is put up for later.How old are the budgies? Budgies can breed at a young age when their ceres have turned the adukt colors. It is best to not have a nest box present until they're at least 10 months old. The presence of a nest box will stimulate the birds to breed.

My conure found the box. I was surprised he could fit, but he seems quite happy to play in it. He has gone in and out of it a few times. He seems to be playing?

The obvious concern- I don't want my bird to associate the nest box as a place to play, especially if my budgies breed in the future.
(I might not breed the budgies.)
My conure is young (around 4 months).
Is he (or she) really playing, or is it a nesting behavior?At four months the conure is at play. Many conures like to have a nest box to sleep in and rest.

I am new to owning a conure.
What behaviors should I expect?
He is a silly bird that loves foot toys and things that spin. He eats a good variety of food. Apples are his favorite. I am starting to work with him on 'step up'. He has gotten as far as stepping onto my hand willingly but he steps off just as fast.

He likes to play peekaboo, but he does it at random times.

Any behavior information or stories is welcome!

The nest box is on a shelf. My conure just found it when exploring. Budgies are roughly 7 and 8 months old, and there is a younger one with them. I know to wait until they are a year old before breeding.
If my conure is merely playing, I think it is okay. I wasn't sure what to expect with the behavior, if I should hide the nest box or allow it. I might set him up a new play area and include a similar place to go. He usually takes a nap on a perch and sleeps on his swing each night.
Should I supply a different place to sleep?

I's not a good idea to let the conure near the nest. Yes, it's too young, but this could lead to behavioural problems down the track. If the budgies aren't old enough yet anyway, I would wait to put it up.

Back
Top Bottom