Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I'm going to get back into breeding budgies for the purpose of breeding healthy, happy, tamed and social budgies for people who don't want scared pet store birds with an unknown origin.
This would require me to spend time with the baby birds as much as possible when they're young.
Question: what age can I take them out of the nest box (for how long and how often) to spend time with them and handle them? I'd assume you're not supposed to touch them for the first 2 weeks or so as long as the parents are taking care of them.
Can you take all chicks out of the box at the same time or would an empty nest box stress out the parents? Back when I had my first few batches of chicks I usually took out one chick at a time to take pictures or hold them for a short period of time (unless it was an only chick).
Or should you wait until they come out of the nest box themselves to start handling them?

I'm going to get back into breeding budgies for the purpose of breeding healthy, happy, tamed and social budgies for people who don't want scared pet store birds with an unknown origin.
This would require me to spend time with the baby birds as much as possible when they're young.
Question: what age can I take them out of the nest box (for how long and how often) to spend time with them and handle them? I'd assume you're not supposed to touch them for the first 2 weeks or so as long as the parents are taking care of them.
Can you take all chicks out of the box at the same time or would an empty nest box stress out the parents? Back when I had my first few batches of chicks I usually took out one chick at a time to take pictures or hold them for a short period of time (unless it was an only chick).
Or should you wait until they come out of the nest box themselves to start handling them?
I searched and didn't find much for great help here for your question, so here's a thread that comes the closest. Baby budgies.

I found better on Google:

This was way down on a Q/A forum so I'll paste this and the link I got it from:
1697835474490.png

https://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Yo...ed chick in,that they are eating sufficiently.

I would give them at least a couple weeks or until feathered before handling…..and stress on the parents will probably be based on individual factors of parents. You can also consider hand feeding with a spoon at 3-4ish weeks to increase tame-ability. I never had any real luck with taming mine due to lack of time and set-up but no trouble with breeding! 😂 good luck in your endeavors

I would give them at least a couple weeks or until feathered before handling…..and stress on the parents will probably be based on individual factors of parents. You can also consider hand feeding with a spoon at 3-4ish weeks to increase tame-ability. I never had any real luck with taming mine due to lack of time and set-up but no trouble with breeding! 😂 good luck in your endeavors
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom