Conure behavior

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My conure Monty recently started trying to mate with his Cozy Corner.
It's probably normal, but is there anything I should do?

My conure Monty recently started trying to mate with his Cozy Corner.
It's probably normal, but is there anything I should do?
How old is he? My cockatiel will be 17 years old next month and just in the past few months, has started rubbing himself on his perch while chirping. I know what he's doing but it seems weird that it took him so long to start! What Monty is doing is normal

How old is he? My cockatiel will be 17 years old next month and just in the past few months, has started rubbing himself on his perch while chirping. I know what he's doing but it seems weird that it took him so long to start! What Monty is doing is normal
Monty is under a year old, but he's become quite keen on my yellow budgie. He feeds her and grooms her. They are supervised during their time out of the cage and they are housed in separate cages.
His Cozy Corner is the same shade of yellow. I'm wondering if he likes it because it makes him think of her, or if he just likes it.
Being around the budgies could maybe make him hormonal?

Either way, I'm glad it's normal.

As for your cockatiel, maybe he's just finding his groove?

Monty is under a year old, but he's become quite keen on my yellow budgie. He feeds her and grooms her. They are supervised during their time out of the cage and they are housed in separate cages.
His Cozy Corner is the same shade of yellow. I'm wondering if he likes it because it makes him think of her, or if he just likes it.
Being around the budgies could maybe make him hormonal?

Either way, I'm glad it's normal.

As for your cockatiel, maybe he's just finding his groove?
Yes, def since he is under a year old, he is hitting sexual maturity. And I agree, the yellow of his cozy corner probably looks good to him! And I don't know about my tiel, he's a goofball! I would love to see pictures of Monty

Yes it is normal for male birds (at this age and older) to feel hormonal urges and they can/do attempt to mate with pretty much anything, including other species (humans included!). While that act in itself is harmless, it is the associated behaviors that you have to be mindful of.

I can say, from past experience, that Conures and Cockatiels both can exhibit possessive/protective behaviors - which may seem amusing/cute initially but can become undesirable and dangerous if left unmanaged.

If your bird(s) start to exhibit undesired behaviors in protection of their objects of affection, you should make immediate moves to address those.

WallyBirdie - I suggest that you be very careful with allowing your young Conure to interact directly with your budgie. He could become overly attentive and cause injury to her - either accidentally or intentionally.

Thank you for the confirmation there. I bet your tiel is an absolute delight! I'd like to see pictures of him as well!
20210105_191126.jpg
20201219_171249.jpg
20201226_094847.jpg
20200813_172524.jpg
20210104_195337.jpg
20200615_154507.jpg
20200624_165633.jpg
20200606_162515.jpg

Yes it is normal for male birds (at this age and older) to feel hormonal urges and they can/do attempt to mate with pretty much anything, including other species (humans included!). While that act in itself is harmless, it is the associated behaviors that you have to be mindful of.

I can say, from past experience, that Conures and Cockatiels both can exhibit possessive/protective behaviors - which may seem amusing/cute initially but can become undesirable and dangerous if left unmanaged.

If your bird(s) start to exhibit undesired behaviors in protection of their objects of affection, you should make immediate moves to address those.

WallyBirdie - I suggest that you be very careful with allowing your young Conure to interact directly with your budgie. He could become overly attentive and cause injury to her - either accidentally or intentionally.

Thank you for the advice and warning. If he does start behaving in a potentially negative way, what stepson should I take regarding it? Do I remove his Cozy Corner?

As for the danger presented to my budgies, I know it's a risk. I don't let them out together without supervision, and they are caged separately. This doesn't guarantee safety, but they seem alright for the time being.

My sun conure became obsessed with her ‘snuggler’ felt hideaway in the same way. It was to the point where she would lay eggs and get egg bound when we put it back in for her. Unfortunately she had to go years without it due to this romantic obsession. She just passed this year at 15 years old of a fast unknown illness 😢

Back
Top Bottom